SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maineman_gw

Cover crops in Maine gardens

maineman
18 years ago

Hi all,

Well, our fall cleanup is mostly complete, two new compost piles are well underway, and the garden looks pretty bare. This is only our third year to garden in Maine, and we haven't tried a cover crop yet.

Since I now have a good tiller, I could till under a cover crop next spring. But I am wondering if it isn't already too late to plant ground cover. And, if not, what ground cover crops are suitable here?

I have noticed a few plants of Hairy Vetch on the property, and wonder if at some time before we came here that wasn't used as a ground cover. Many years ago when we lived in Fort Worth, I planted Winter Rye on advice from someone, and it grew luxuriantly in the mild Texas winter. But each plant became a huge clump of roots and green leaves and that stuff was difficult to till under.

Fortunately I had several sets of tines for my tiller back then, and when I put on some self-sharpening Bolo Tines instead of the Slasher Tines that I usually used, the Merry Tiller was able to slice through the clumps of rye.

But that was decades ago and I currently have only Slasher tines for my new Merry Tiller. By adding or removing tine sections I can adjust their tilling width from 37-inches, 24-inches (the usual), or 16-inches. However, I don't have Bolo Tines for my new tiller and I'm not sure I want to invest in them just to turn under a cover crop, so I have reservations about Winter Rye again. But perhaps it would not grow so vigorously here in Maine and my Slasher Tines could handle it.

I realize this all may be very moot, because we may not have enough warmish weather left to sprout and start a cover crop here in Maine. I welcome your comments and any experiences you would like to share about cover crops in Maine gardens.

MM

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz