SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jszone6bnj

Protect maple from wind

18 years ago

I just finished a patio 8 x 15 ft and bought a maple to keep in a container. I got a green one because the red maple labels in most nursuries say partial shade. Only the green ones seem to say partial shade to full sun.

Is green more tolerant of sun?

This maple was very cheap in Lowes. over 6 ft for 119. It does not have a thick trunk like the expensive ones that are probably grown for years. I want it to grow to have a bottom canopy over 5 ft and I will top it to 8 ft or so. It has sliver/narrow leaves. I want to be able to sit under it for shade.

It has many small trunks splitting 3 at one foot and 7-9 at four ft. It is very windy in my back yard. There is a nearby farm that provides a long wind reach.

Is there something I could bind trunks together for mutual support? Some are very long and slender. I am afraid the wind here will snap some.

I was thinking of cloth wrapped under electrical 12 gauge viny covered wire over that (so it cant cut) and binding the trunks loosly at the level where there is about five trunks. Is this better protection?

I know in zone 6 I will have to use an fiberglass type container and bubble wrap it thuroughly in winter with burlap over that - both container and several feet of trunk.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions