SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_dollmaker

Fun project

The_Dollmaker
19 years ago

Feel free to make suggestions... here is a picture of my southern quadrant. It is about 20 by 25 feet. I want to put in a screen house so honey can do some of his reading outside. He has tried but is over-sensitive to any kind of bug repellant and also worries about bees. Because of the fences, trees, house & garage, this area only gets 4-6 hours of sun a day. 5 years ago when we moved here, I had dreams of it being a moss garden, but the moss I added did not take, and the current moss has not spread. In the center, the asiatics grow very well. against the fence, the wild shady things do great. There is no turf grass here to speak of, nor do I feel the need to sow any. Also I use corn gluten in this area to keep dandelions away. I haven't been using it in fall, so I do get some goldenrod and wild aster, both of which I like, and creeping buttercup which I don't mind. I thought of letting this be a meadow like my western quad, but he is not fond of that. I am thinking of moving a 3rd year beach rose out of the meadow where it is hidden, into this area. I drew in orange where I think I would like the screen house. Which way would you face the opening? What would you plant that would act like a dwarf tree to attract birds, but not give the cats a place to lie in ambush? I love to putter, so plants that need to be pruned or kept from spreading, are not a problem. I'd like to keep the choke cherry, ferns and mayflowers (false lily of the valley). I forgot to label the area next to the cement patio... it's granite paving stones that used to be part of the driveway when the house was built in 1930.

{{gwi:1042219}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored