SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Lettuce germinated in 3 days! Now what?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Since I didn't have good luck with direct-seeding lettuce last year (heavy rain washed it out twice), and have successfully grown lettuce starts from a nursery, I figured I'd start them indoors this year. Following schedule from Johnny's for May 15 last frost, I started half a flat of mesclun (pulled out the beet seed to start later, this is a mix of BS Simpson, Bloomsdale LS spinach, Red Salad Bowl and Tendergreen mustard) and half a flat of Tom Thumb head lettuce on Tuesday 3/11 (2 days early for lettuce, but late for spinach and kale, it was the first warm day I could work in the garage).

Tom Thumb is almost 100% germinated (AFAICT, they're such small seeds I didn't count) and mesclun still has some empty cells but I took the dome off today since they popped up overnight. 67 degrees in the house and in a sunny SW window.

So now what? I searched and couldn't find any info on when to thin (other than on the package, assuming direct seeding) and when to pot up. I must say I'm surprised it didn't take longer. They are kind of clumped together (those small seeds!) but do I wait for them to get 1-2" high to thin (as in ground) or do I have to do it sooner? Anyone have success separating the plants and potting up as with tomatoes (see Youtube for nctomatoman's dense planting method)?

And should I move the plants to cooler (50 degree) basement under 6500K CFLs (as I plan to do with spinach once that's germinated - kale is starting to pop but spinach seems slower - or I'm just impatient!)? When?

Still have snow on the ground, today was supposed to be almost-seasonable 40 but hasn't gotten over 34 so I doubt tomorrow will be 50 they've predicted. And next week looks colder - below freezing (as highs!) Sunday and Monday, maybe warming up to 37 - 45 the rest of the week. Johnny's said start lettuce 3/13 (and kale 3/6 - 3/20) to transplant 4/17 but I may have to grow these in containers if spring continues as cold as late winter has been. Johnny's chart shows spinach going out as early as April 3 but I know that's not going to happen.

Comments (22)

Sponsored