SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginger_nh

Disturbing trend in MG programs- your experience?

ginger_nh
19 years ago

I was surprised to read the post of eyolf last week and have copy-and-pasted it below; it was buried at the bottom of the MG Attrition thread. I am a NH Master Gardener '99. We, too, are having funding problems with our county and state budgets, but I am not certain that they are to the degree outlined in Minnesota.

This does seem to be one more way that the WWW and machines are ousting people from their jobs and human contact.

I e-mailed the information to my extension agent and one of the leaders in our state organization. They are dismayed; however, they're seeing some of this surfacing as eyolf has written. One wrote: "I'd like to see the internet do a pruning demonstration!" With the amount of videos showing up on the web news recently, it will not be long before pruning demos are available, too (if not aleady!)

What are your experiences and takes on this subject?

Ginger

RE: M/G Attrition- Why Do they Drop Out?

Posted by: eyolf Z3: Mn (My Page) on Thu, Nov 18, 04 at 22:38

" . . . I have done some asking around, and the old extension system of having an extension agent in every county is dying out. Most county governments considered it an unfunded mandate in that the county had to pay the xtension agent's salary, provide office space and support staff...all to provide a link to services that were supposed to be coming from the land-grant university.

The advent of the internet has made the extension agent somewhat of an anachronism. In keeping with that thought, the consumer (it is hoped) will be able to access what he needs or who he needs via the WWW or email. Local master gardeners are (supposed to be) available for those who aren't able to efficiently be served in that wise.

Unfortunately, the new system has a few bugs yet. As Extension agents and staff disappear, Many MG's drop away. Without local leadership, some MG programs are floundering.

The Mn master gardener program is operated out of one central office, state-wide. I expect it will eventually dissappear completely from many out-state, rural counties."

Comments (21)