SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lighter_gw

Thinking about MG program- need advice!

lighter
16 years ago

Hi there:

I would like to seek some advice from Master Gardeners or those in the horticulture industry.

I have been a gardener for a very long time. Mostly container because I have always lived in an apartment in the middle of the city. I love gardening, there is something aobut flowers that amazes me. It is almost as if I have lost track of time when I look at my lilies at bloom.

I am considering a career in horitculture. I am very interested in greenhouse and grower work. I hold a degree in Psychology (ha!) and have tested various "office" careers, but nothing has given me that sense of "passion" yet. My mind has always traveled back to horticulture.

It has been a long goal of mine to become a Master Gardener (in Texas) and I have finally been presented with an opportunity to where I have the time and money to do it.

Here is my question: I am very hesitant to commit myself to another degree or graduate school without being absolutely sure this is what I want to do. Am I able to use the MG credential when looking for employment in horticulture?

I have read where some people say yes, it is great to get ahead/advance and there are some who feel that the title should only be used for your community. I definitely want to give back to my community via the MG status, it is something that I feel is the best part.

Bottom line: Does the horitculture community frown upon using the MG status when trying to advance or explore a career? If it is acceptable to use, would I even have a shot at getting a good horticulture job once I finish the program (just having a degree in any field is a plus too)?

I would really love to hear different opinions on this and any other advice that I could get. I'm still young, but I am certianly not getting any older. Just want to be sure, something tells me I am on the right path.

THANKS!!!!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm