SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njmastergardener

Deadly Mulch

njmastergardener
18 years ago

I'm a Master Gardener in NJ. I have heard of a cocoa hull mulch that is being sold on the market. It is a very light weight mulch, with a nice dark color and an intoxicating smell of chocolate. It was sold in 1995 at a Franks near me. Then it was taken off their shelves due to an issue. I had not much info on what this issue was, till this summer. A dear gardening friend of mine decided to try this cocoa hull mulch in her flower beds. Later that week she called me to tell me that her Beloved German Sheppard had died. She proceeded to tell me that her dog had eaten some cocoa hull mulch and died within 2 hours.

Those of us that are pet lovers know chocolate candy is deadly to dogs.

The Persons/ Master Gardeners in Burlington County NJ are pushing this product with out any disclaimer or warning to the public of the hazards of this product.

My business partner and I have spent about 3 weeks researching this product, calling Hershey and other companys selling this product.

What we have found is that, 4 oz is deadly to an 80 lb dog, 2 oz is toxic to children under 40 lbs of weight, and that the cocoa hull mulch changes the ph of the soil so rapidly, that it can change the numbers of your last soil sample in one season.

I feel gardeners are also good consumers and would rather have all the info about a product, than being horribly shocked when something happens. Please pass on this info to others. More info can be found at my web page in the next few weeks. www.mygrandmothersgarden.com

There will also be an article written by my business partner that will be in the newspaper in the next few weeks.

Happy Gardeners are safe gardeners! including their pets

Comments (11)