SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

Which Heirloom Tomatos to Plant?

susiq
12 years ago

Hi all. Newish market grower, had my first mkt last year. I live in a suburb, with just a good sized yard to use as a "farm".

Good News: I'm the recipient of nearly 40 varieties of gifted-to-me Heirloom Tomato seeds, now 3-4 years old. Yes, I know, potential of limited to no germination, but w/ my limited growing spaces avail, not necessarily a problem.

I have one heat mat, and a tiny tiny outdoor greenhouse. Will plan to sow one flat (of anything/multiple options) at a time.

Bad news: Very few pre-made garden spaces at my house (for future transplants). Will add more as I can, but for now, nearly zilch. (So I obviously don't want to over sow my seeds.)

Last year I grew & sold 3-4 Heirloom tomato varieties, had maybe 30-40 plants (4 inch pots) to sell, sold most brought home 10? Planted them in 5-7 gal. buckets. Heat hit, my own tomatoes didn't set until mid-late fall. Got some before freeze, but most were green, and so I have no exp. w/ how they actually taste! I also didn't get them sown til mid March. I'm a little early to be sowing now, but not by too much. My plants were tiny at the beg of mkt last year, so want to make sure I have nice size plants by mid April, when our Mkt opens.

Those tomatoes were my only vegies last year, hope to have a few more varities this year.

I also sold knitted items, and home-made cookies.

Anyway, to the point: Which Heirloom Tomatoes would you grow, have you grown, and that you think are the best sellers/tastiest?

(The other vegie vendors who sold the actual tomatoes "just" sold generic ones. A few might have had one or two heirlooms, but they didn't label them as such at market. They always sold out of tomatoes, so I assume their heirlooms did well, I just don't know the varieties or tastes.)

Which other vegies/herbs would you recommend for small space gardening? I am an experienced flower gardener, just not a very experienced vegie and/or market grower. I've got a few rosemary cuttings in progress, & will start on some lavender cuttings in a day or two.

I could list all 40 tomato varieties I have, but I'll wait for responses.

Thanks--

Susi

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting