SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Japanese Maple 'Falls Fire'

17 years ago

I've had 'Falls Fire' for two summers now. Light Green spring to Green Green summer, smaller cut leaves than species JM with reports of "spectacular" fall color, with many shades of reds, yellows, oranges. Tree is 6' tall and has been pruned to spread out in an umbrella shape by growers.

First year did not really get any color, but was in more shade. I thought the shade would help the tree have less stress from transplanting. Fall color was very underwhelming, leaves turned dark dull purple-green or dull dark red.

Second year I cut down a weed tree that helped shade it in early April, so the tree had good sun all year, morning through midday til 4pm. The tree got late afternoon shade from the neighbor's tree to the West, which I thought would be good. Kept the tree well watered through the summer. Leaves turned dark dull purple-green or dull dark red then fell in November after most other trees... Below average JM performance it seems.

I'm disappointed with this tree, doesnt provide enough year round interest without fall changes, maybe I'll plant a Paperbark Maple instead. What should I expect from this tree? What can I do to help the fall color? Does this tree have any chance of good fall color in Central Ohio?

Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting