SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Bettah late dan nevah!

esther_b
10 years ago

AFTER I go through this whole mourning process for my Yellow Polka Dot Bikini that never emerged this year, even ordering another one from Made in the Shade...today I saw 2 pips with the light green-dark green-white line popping up from my mulch. That little devil! I then checked to see if Cherish was going to make a similar tardy appearance, but no, nada. I did not order another Cherish, substituting a Sparkler for it in my latest order. Maybe it was THAT which convinced Cherish not to appear.

Comments (5)

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Well, I'm glad YPDB showed up. I just divided a green eye out of my Cherish. Hope that yours shows up soon.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Congratulations Esther, how exciting! I didn't see YPDB on the late emerging hosta list. Wondering what other's experience with YPDB is, I don't have this one.

I have two Cherish hostas. One in a pot and one in the ground. They both came up for me this year.

How did you like Sparkler? I saw it half way across the nursery last year and HAD TO HAVE IT. I haven't taken a picture of it this year yet as it's nothing to write home about right now.

Gesila

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila, Sparkler will arrive this week. I expect a fairly small specimen, as the variety isn't that big to begin with. When it arrives, I will probably take some cell phone pics of it (don't have digital cam) to post. Then I will have the problem of what to do with TWO YPDBs. Do you think it will be more visually effective to put the new one that's arriving with Sparkler near this late-to-the-party one?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

something that shows up really late..

may be planted too deep ....

its really easy with the little ones.... sinking in when planting in loose soil....

ken

• User
    10 years ago

If you don't have another spot for it in your design, you could plant the 2nd YPDB with the first one, right?

My Sparkler was pretty tiny this spring, late emerging as it were. And now it is very dark leaved and nice streaky looking midleaf. This is as big as it got as of last week. It did not poke noses seriously until after mid May, even in my warmer zone. I think you will like the way it looks.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County