SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

driveway sales for homeschool apprenticeship?

birdgardner
19 years ago

I have started homeschooling my 8 y.o. son - he was having a lot of trouble at school because of the slow pace and repetition, and he is angry "because grown-ups don't let children be useful the way they were in the old days."

Which is pretty perceptive for an 8 y.o. So I would like to start him in a family business.

We have two townwide garage sales each year - late May or early June, and early October. Hundreds of people come. Those are the only two days I would plan to sell from the driveway.

I would like to wintersow seeds in bands, in a coldframe.

The focus would be on hummingbird, butterfly, and native plants. Some tropicals, perhaps - hummingbird attractors again.

Tropicals have to make it to the spring sale. But they aren't great candidates for winter sowing -maybe cannas in late winter, or else really fast growers.

We would slather the town with signs, of course.

If anyone here could recommend good sellers or quick growers, any hints on conducting the actual sale I would be very grateful. I've never done a garage sale, even.

Leftovers I could either put into new beds or give to the Boy Scouts or 4H for their projects I guess. But would rather not have leftovers.

If this goes well, we might consider the farmer's market next year.

Thanks.

Lisa

Comments (3)

Sponsored