SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayakita

Oriental Lilies in Texan Winters

kayakita
14 years ago

This is my first year for planting lilies. Last spring, I planted five bulbs each of Oriental lilies in two very large plastic containers.They all came up during early-mid summer with healthy 3 ft. stalks and fragrant blooms that were absolutely gorgeous. Now am wondering what do I do next? It's almost time for our first freeze of the winter and the stalks and leaves are still mostly green (some leaves have a few brown tips). It's my understanding that we should not cut doen the stalks until they are completely dry and brown. We usually have mild winters in this part of Texas with ocasional hard freezes of limited duration (24-48 hrs.) every 3-4 weeks until around mid-April when it gets hotter than blazes and stays that way until after Halloween. Should I leave the bulbs in the pots and move them to the garage (dark and cold but not as cold as outside); or should I just leave them in the pots outdoors in a protected location (against the house facing south) and cover them with anti-frost cloth when a freeze is predicted? Your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living