SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rfraser529

ODNO Ballast Question

rfraser529
16 years ago

A question for any lighting experts / closet electrical engineers out there.

Disclaimer: I acknowledge that I am undertaking these lighting experiments with full personal accountability, and agree to hold harmless any person venturing an opinion or offering advice on the following questions.

Nearly a year ago I set up several banks of ODNO T-8 32W shop lights from the shop light kits that used to be available from Home Depot, the ones with the SunPark SL-15 Ballast. For $9.00US for the fixture plus $5.00US for the extra SL-15 ballast I have very satisfactory light output, acceptable heat and acceptable bulb life.

I have recently expanded my orchid collection and was going to set up 2 new ODNO T-8 light banks, one 4 tube and one 6 tube to light 2 shelves. Unfortunately, the cheap $8.99US shop light sold by Home Depot now is a 2-tube T-12 40W shop light with electronic ballast (Medium output). After a second of hesitation, and finding no easy way to open the box and disassemble the fixture without looking rather suspicious I bought 3 of these and 2 of the more expensive ($16.00US) 2 tube T-8 shop lights with the Sunpark SL-15 ballast or the equivalent. These are however much wider with the reflector and I cannot easily make a 6 tube bank with them to fit my plant rack.

It occurred to me that when setting up the ODNO lights the Sunpark is designed to run T-12 40W or T-8 32W lamps. The new ballast while designated T-12 40W medium output, the 8-Watt/tube difference was not that far out of spec for a normally driven T-8 tube. When using one SL-15 to drive a single T-8 tube the effective wattage is 64 or 80 or somewhere in-between depending on how the ballast "sees" the tube.

It is hard for me to imagine how for $5.00US an SL-15 could "know" it is hooked up to a T-12 tube or a T-8 tube aside from perhaps overall resistance of the tube itself. So then I wonder, does it really switch output between the 2 tube types or is it just a happy average within operating parameters of both tubes? The logical extension of this speculation was of course, will the ballast designated T-12 know if it has been duped and hooked up to a single T-8 tube, and if not, what will the overall consequences of the higher ballast output be for the T-8 tube?

In earlier discussion threads on this topic the consensus was that driving a single T-8 tube with a single 2 tube ballast was not so far out of spec for US standard T-8 tubes as to be unreasonable. So I elected to wire up one 2-tube fixture with 2 of these ballasts and hooked up 2 T-8 tubes. After getting a safe distance away, and verifying functional fire extinguishing equipment near by I plugged it in.

Keep in mind that when I performed this experiment this past weekend in Northern Wisconsin it was around 40F in my shop. The tubes lit normally if not briskly for a cold tube, and seemed fairly bright. The heat output was greater as expected given the higher wattage, but no singularity was created, no parallel universe or time-space continuum distortion that I could see developed, and in the short term no fire, or visible blackening of the tube ends.

I only ran it for 10 or 15 minutes, and as noted it was pretty cool in the shop so I am unsure as to how hot 2 pairs wired this way might get. If the only likely consequences is voiding the warrantee on the $9.00US fixture, shorter life expectancy of the T-8 tube and slightly higher heat and light output overall I could live with that for now, at least until I finish my reflectors for the dual 85Watt CFL fixtures I am slowly making progress on.

If on the other hand the probability of creating a Black Hole, a tear in the very fabric of space-time, or most concerning of all a small local explosion and subsequent fire occurring when the lights are usually on when I am not home, I will order more SL-15 ballasts from SunPark and skip the T-12 ballasts all together.

I am not looking for a blessing or guarantee of any kind, just facts about the engineering specs of the tubes and ballasts as well as a sense for how far out of spec I may be pushing things.

I built the first sets of ODNO lights based on information gained in this very forum, so this is the first place I turned. Is Shrubs&Bulbs still around?

Comments (4)