SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iamsaturdayswarrior

Total Newbie Could Use Some Help on Basic Setup

Hi. I have this very large shelving unit and have attached a picture of it taken at an angle. As you can see, I store anything and everything on them. I live in Seattle. For several months a year, sunshine is elusive. Looking at my shelves that are formed out of metal rungs, I had an idea.

I was very close to ordering this system:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-4-Foot-Start-Light-System/dp/B0001XLSGQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1353143931&sr=1-1&keywords=grow+light+stand

Now, I'm wondering if I could make something just as good using my shelves. The idea would be to buy the bulbs, reflector, fixture, whatever, and attach the light fixture, using simple hooks or chains with s-hooks, to the bottom of the shelf above the shelf where my plants were lined up. The shelves are 45" wide and 17" deep.

Is there something I could do myself that would be cheaper and/or better than the system I was thinking of ordering. I have basic houseplants, an amaryllis, and several small succulents.

Could somebody hold my hand for a bit and help me understand what I should buy and any other considerations, like how far away do the bulbs need to be from the top of my plants, etc.

I don't know anything about the different bulbs, but with such little sun here, I'd want to get the best bulbs, but without buying something I don't need. Will these lights work for the succulents too?

I'm not very DIY-inclined, but I know how to go to Home Depot and ask where things are. I just really need some help deciding what to look for/get.

I am so excited to do this. My plants are not looking good these days. Thanks!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery