SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zdennis

Request for help: First Grow Room Setup in Basement

zdennis
10 years ago

I'm looking to start my first indoor garden. I have an unfinished room in my basement that I'd like to use. I'm planning on having a small operation: 7 plants (2 tomato, 2 chile peppers, and 3 herbs).

I have all of the equipment to support an NFT system (using two T5 lamps), but I'm trying to finalize how-to handle ventilation and air flow.

I have a radon mitigation system in my home and the EPA advices against installing additional exhaust fans in the rim joist of the homes that have these systems in place so I'm thinking that is venting to the outside is not going to happen in that way.

Another option I know of is a sealed room. That sounds quite intense and a bit more than what I'm hoping to start with for this room. The room is 7' x 13' feet and also contains a water pressurizer tank and the PVC for the radon system.

A third option I think I can do is vent into the existing duct work. My challenge here is that the rest of the basement is finished and the only duct work available in this space in for heating the bathroom above this room. The previous owner drywalled the ceiling of the rest of the basement so it's hard to know where other ducts run.

With all of that information I'm struggling with the following questions:

* Are there are other ventilation options available to me?

* Could I get away with utilizing oscillating fans, a dehumidifier, and a fan with a filter (basically a the same setup for a sealed room, but with the room not being sealed)?

* Is my only viable option a sealed room within this room?

* Am I over-thinking / under-thinking this or missing anything that I should be taking into account?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments (6)