SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

time to find out - hid vs led

wordwiz
13 years ago

Next week, I will be getting a 400 watt MH conversion bulb so I determine the best system before the the indoor growing season begins. I want to determine the most efficient light to use. Efficiency will be defined as pounds of salable produce per kW.

The contestants:

On the east is a 125-watt LED panel, said to replace a 400-watt HPS. It features red, blue and orange lights in a 8:1:1 ratio. On the west is a 400-watt MH/HPS set-up from HTG Supply. The lights will be hung at a distance that allow me to cover the advertised growing area (about 3'from the floor) but plants will be set on whatever I can find to get them as close to the lights as possible without heat or a loss in Lux occurring.

The test plants will be two types of toms, a Celebrity (determinate) and Better Boy (indy). They will be grown in 4-gallon plastic buckets using Tomato-tone as the nuit. All liquid will be provided from a common container (a 35-gallon plastic can) so the pH and ppm will be the same. The lights will run from the same timer (13 hours/day) and the same air pump. They are in the same room, so the temps will be nearly identical. Both grow areas are lined with Mylar, though not all the way to the floor.

Have I overlooked anything?

Mike

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living