SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reddhedd_gw

holes in bean pods

reddhedd
15 years ago

I went out to harvest beans for dinner last night, and found about 6-8 beans with very small (pencil lead diameter) holes drilled into them...and a small grub half in/half out of some of the holes.

The smallest grub I found was barely 1/8 inch long, and sort of straw colored.

The longest was 1/4 inch, and the same green as the bean.

I'm sure they're larvae to something; I've been surfing the 'net last night and today, and can't find this exact bug...it doesn't have a brown face...totally green or yellowish, head to tail, segmented body, no legs. Any ideas what it is and what I can do about it? I only garden organically, so don't bother suggesting poisons, please. If I can't walk out back and pick a pod and eat it straight off the vine...what's the point? ;o) I'm teaching my kids and the neighbor kids to enjoy their veggies this way...can't make 'em sick or they'll never touch produce again! lol

I've got ladybugs throughout the garden, but they seem preoccupied with my lettuce crop, and my praying mantis egg sack just released, but they're too small to do anything yet.

I've used diam. earth in the past, but I'm afraid it might kill the ladybugs and p. mantises.

Suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored