SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drloyd

Pre-Sprouting Beans

drloyd
12 years ago

In some parts of the northern USA, summer temperatures are the rule in May. So 65F soil temperatures are not a problem. Just plant out some dry seed and wait. Here we may not see warm soil until July. This is ok if we are content to grow a row of Fortex. Not so good for longer season beans. Pre-sprouting is needed for most varieties that I grow. I have been experimenting with various methods.

Damp paper towels in a plastic bag resulted in moldy seeds.

Soaking beans over night works fine for some, but others do not survive this.

I have found that most beans will tolerate 4 hours of soaking. I use a jar with cheesecloth or similar material for a cover. After soaking, they are rinsed and drained several times a day. Then 24 hours after the first soak, larger seeds can be given a second 4 hour soak.

This method did not work for Clem and Sarahs Big Bean. They have a very thin skin and even a couple of hours of soaking damages them so that they do not do well.

Another method that works well and worked fine for Clem and Sarahs this year is to mix the seeds with damp potting mix in a pot with drain holes and just do a little overhead watering from time to time. The pot needs to be big to allow for swelling. It takes about 48 hours.

Any better ideas? - Dick

Comments (26)

Sponsored