SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlos42180

Iris Massacre

carlos42180
15 years ago

I go to check up on my Iris in the backyard, to come to horrid realization that something has snacking on my Iris!

I all of my years of growing Iris, I have never seen this before. Chucks of rhizomes literally chewed off. Iris uprooted...even established irises that were planted last year!

What animals actually EAT iris rhizomes...not leaves, the rhizomes themselves? I live in Chicago, an urban environment. Wild animals are few and far between and the nearest forest preserve is four miles away and anything there would have to get across a river, an expressway and several streets of high traffic to get to where I am.

I've narrowed down my suspects to three animals. Please let me know if you had experience with any of these animals eating your Iris.

1.) Cat - there is a stray cat that lives in the neighborhood and I often see it hanging around my house. Maybe it likes my yard. I've seen in it in the back a couple of times, but usually it's just lying about.

2.) Rabbit - at least once every two weeks, I'll see a rabbit. I can see my most of my neighbor's backyards from mine and no one is growing any vegetables.

3.) Squirrels - this is what I think it is, as I often see several peanuts in the dirt as I'm digging up weeds. I had squirrels in my old house, but I never had them eating my Iris.

Are there any natural ways to deter these pests from coming into my garden?

Carlos

Comments (18)

Sponsored