SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

CRAZY Texas Weather

lovelyiris
16 years ago

Well a couple of days ago it was in the lower 20's here. Then the next day it was in the 20's and warmed up to the 30's. Then today it was in the upper 70's. I have busted my tail outside and did a little cleaning, raking, burning, and so forth.I'm worn out now, smell like smoke from burning all the brush and leaves oh and lets not forget those gosh awful gum balls that were EVERYWHERE. I had an abundant crop of them darn things to burn.

Now if I had any energy left I'd go take a hot bath and say CALGON take me away. LOL Might have to rest a little while before I can muster up the energy to take one.

What did everyone else do today regarding working outside or in the greenhouse or grow rooms?

Oh and I got the iris beds and the daylily beds tilled. Everything looks 100% better except for me. I look like I've seen better days. I really should go put some of that stuff to keep the winter weeds from growing back in them. Shoot the work around here is never done. It just continues to pile up.

It's going to be nice again tomorrow and I'm going to dig me another pond sometime after church tomorrow. That is provided I can move and get out bed to go to church. LOL

Now how was ya'lls day?

Happy Gardening.

Marian

Comments (29)

• pearlgirl
    16 years ago

Well...my day was a wonderful one after having ONE of my
    worst migraines AGAIN because I drank the wrong coffee
    AGAIN!! Ooooh, it hurt so bad last evening.
    So, I lounged around today thinking of what I can do on
    Mon and Tue (back to the 60's) I can plant more seeds and
    have hubby till up more earth to plant even more things. I
    don't mind these highs and lows in the weather as long as
    we have enough cold to kill the buggie.
    Marian, doesn't it feel good to be so tired after you've
    gotten all of that work done in your garden??
    I did get my seed starting mixes for my winter sowing and
    to pot up some more brug cuttings...perhaps tomorrow I'll
    get that started. As you said...always something to do.

Margaret

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really need to get some of my winter sow projects under way. I've just got so many darn irons in the fire it's hard to determine which one should take top billing.

I don't drink coffee so I wouldn't know about it. I would suggest that you THROW the wrong one out and keep only the one you can drink and not get sick. If someone else in the house drinks the other coffee put a red sticker or colored tape or something else on it to remind you not to drink it.

I have to use all kinds of reminders for myself. LOL getting old isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Happy Gardening,
    Marian

• Related Discussions

Crazy Weather

Q

Comments (16)
    The forecast low for tonight is 12 degrees here in northern MN. It has snowed 5 of the last 8 days. Snow levels (not in drifted areas) range from 17" to 21" The good new is that everything is still in it's winter mode. I'm not expecting to get any damage. It's going to be a very late start of the season. My Autumn Britten raspberries (fall producers) have been hit with early fall frost 2 of the last 3 years. This year, because of such a late start, they won't have a chance at producing. I will be pulling out the entire 52 ft row when the frost is out of the ground. The good news is that my summer "Boyne" raspberries were my favorite anyway. This really late spring may actually help my blueberry and sour cherry blossoms avoid getting hit with frost. The snow is still to deep to determine if I had any vole damage.
    ...See More

Off topic

Q

Comments (3)
    Don't know what took this one so long to bloom but glad it's finally started. My cousin got one from the same stock at the same time and his bloomed that same year and every year since. When I visit my sister I see lots of them around the island of Port Aransas but most of those are white with pink throats. Kirk
    ...See More

Crazy Weather!

Q

Comments (13)
    Hey...I'm off early today! Here in ND...we'd be VERY GLAD to send anyone some water!!! If we could build a pipeline to NM, you'd have no water problems for a YEAR... Now in Bismarck, ND and points west, they've had to open the floodgates on Garrison Dam/Lake Sakakaweja (sp?), or the river inflows will eventually top the dam. This means BIG flooding for Bismarck, etc. Mountain snow-melts from Montana/Yellowstone aren't even there yet!!! The Little Yellowstone sneaks into western ND near Williston, and joins the Missouri river in ND. All this drains into Lake Sakakaweja W of Bismarck!!! And it's been raining a lot in Eastern MT too... It all eventually comes thru Bismarck from Lake S. Then eventually into the Mississippi! Expertise, sandbags, and equipment from Fargo, and the ND National-Guard are rolling into Bismarck this week. It's gonna be high-water there 'til....JULY. Some homes may be lost. Devils Lake ND (N-central part) is becoming an Inland-OCEAN! There's no natural outlet, until it naturally spills over thru a natural formation called the "Tolna Coulee". This would drain into Fargo via the Sheyenne River, draining into our Red-River in Fargo. NO ONE wants to see this happen.... Faron
    ...See More

Peach buds and Frost

Q

Comments (3)
    If fruit tree flowers buds have begun to swell - and these have - then they are most vulnerable to freezing temperatures. Unless the temperature decline is quite gradual - and this doesn't sound like it will be - I would expect damage to the flowers and many will abort. And even a gradual decline is no guarantee once the buds are beginning to show any color.
    ...See More
  • karyn1
    16 years ago

The weather here is weird too but our weather is always weird. Earlier this week we were in the single digits with the wind chill. By Monday we're supposed to be near 60. DH has been out fiddling with the GH. The other guys are going to be here tomorrow to hopefully finish it (cross your fingers for me). Even if the GH isn't finished I'm dragging plants outside and giving them a good soaking with the hose. They aren't too happy and the aphids are still a problem.

I potted up some more seeds that I had chilling in the fridge and some others that were soaking. Juggled plants around for space on my small seed mats because I still don't have any room to set out my big one. I can't do anything outside even if it's warm. The ground is wet and cold and I won't be able to start tilling until Mar or Apr. If I ran a tiller I'd end up compacting the soil instead of aerating it. I could ride up to the farm and check out what's in the GH but I don't want to see how much damage I ended up with from the freeze. It was depressing enough to see last week and I'm sure it looks even worse now.

Margaret I hope your head feels better and Marian you should soak in a nice hot bubble bath.
    Karyn

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Fished a white bass tournament today and came in 2nd. It was nice and warm today but really windy. I want to stay home tomorrow and work on my plants but hubby wants to fish again. I told him if we go again tomorrow he has to give me Monday off from work. I'll be glad when it starts getting dark later so I can do more yardwork during the week after work. Its so hard to fit everything in on the weekends.

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Kristy I can tell you how you can garden in the dark and prolong your time in the garden. lol You get you one of those coal miners hats with the light on top and you can see real good at night.

Congrats on 2nd place fishing today. I wanted to go down to the pond and fish but like you said it was toooooo windy.

Karyn I'm sorry you lost a bunch of stuff in your greenhouse. I thought I was going to lose everything in mine a few days ago when it was so darn cold here. I would be sick and still crying.

Please let us know if there is anything we can send you to replace things. I'm just sick for you I lost most of my irises last summer when we had all those floods and it rained here at my house everyday for over 2 straight months. As a matter of fact I lost alot of my plants due to all the rain. So many that I couldn't even begin to replace them. (frown) So my heart goes out to you.

Hugs, Marian

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Congrats on the tournament Kristy. I'd love to be able to fish so often. Marian that's so sweet of you. Honestly I could lose half my collection and still have too many plants! lol I'm going to be doing a lot of cutting back and see what will recover. The only thing that really upset me was the damage to the plumies. I'm sure I lost a number of them but even the ones that I didn't lose won't bloom this year because the tips froze. I think I only have a handful that didn't suffer any damage. I hope they'll bloom this year. Last season wasn't great for my plumies to begin with and I had extremely late blooms. Many didn't even develop inflos until late Aug. If I could just narrow my collection to a few varieties of plants I'd be in much better shape but there's so many beautiful plants. I always see something new that I "just have to get" lol As it is I have a plant order on hold. I'm hoping that they'll be able to ship them next week. I'm getting a Showy Medinilla, a Mason's Congo Sansevieria and a Calotropis gigantea.
    Karyn

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Oooh, those sound pretty Karyn. Hey your plumies might be ok. I put mine out this spring and we had a freak snow storm come out of no where and it wasn't even supposed to cold. I woke up to pot fulls of sleet and snow coming down and got a lot of tip rot. I cut them all back to solid parts and they bloomed better this year than ever before. I thought for sure they would be ruined. Just cut them back now and don't leave the black mushy stuff on there. We had a good time fishing today and got to meet a lot of new people from the fishing forum that came all the way from Dallas to fish with us. We have a fishing forum that is a lot like this one. We have made many friends there. Let me know too if there is something that you lose. I keep trying to give you stuff but you already have everything, lol. Marian I dug up some irises from this ladies yard this year after they were done blooming. Hopefully they will bloom this spring and I can see what colors they are. I will share some of those with you if you need more.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Congrats Kristy!

Sounds like you had lots of fun!

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Its gonna be 80 degrees today with wind gusts 35 to 40 so I am staying home to tend to my plants. Good day to catch up around the house and if I don't do some laundry I'll have to wear shorts to work next week, lol.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

It's 56 - almost 57 - with 20mph gusts.

Whacky weather. The high was supposed to be 54.

I think I'm gonna go out and do some trimming on some stuff.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

It had to hit 62-65 today. Silly warm for Illinois in early January. High was only supposed to be 54.

I went out and massacred those trumpet vines. Trimmed them HARD. (Yea - I know people hate trumpet vines - but I love them.)

And pulled down some dead morning glory vines trying to shake the seeds along the fence.

DH yelled that I was "killing" the trumpets. (Like that's possible!)

I said these are the MORNING glories! The trumpets are over THERE - the things that look like they ate TOKYO - and you know they bloom on new growth so they need to be whacked hard!

LOL. . .

When the snow left - I found another garden hose the construction guys threw on the ground with my nice sprayer. And found more pots they threw in that pile! (grin)

But if it stays warm like this for too long, those stupid plants are going to start to wake up again like last year and get burned. Back down to 38 on Wednesday. High 50s until then.

Grrrrrrrrr. . . .

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Dweeb, I got a start of trumpet vine and planted it last year and it never flowered. Now the stem looks dead. Should I cut it back to the ground?

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Noooooo - let it go. it will give you new growth. And that's what will bloom. But, it's gonna be a "late" comer with the new growth. You'll be staring at them in May wondering "what the he**" They're one of the latest da** things to start in my yard.

You'll probaby see new growth from the base (providing the base is in good shape.)

Those things are NUKE proof. Now - depending on how "new" the start was - may need another 2 years. I took volunteers from Mom's house. They wer pretty big - not huge - but big - only took one year for them to bloom.

They love full sun. That's why they're in the back yard/side yard known as "he**". Is it going to get full sun? You'll get faster results that way. They need full sun to bloom.

Mine are "spooky" now - I've only had them for 3 years - this coming will be year 4. I had blooms in year 2. But they're frightening now. Rather (ahem!) large now. Little skinny jobs are now 2"-3" diameter bases. They'll get even bigger this year.

But good thing F4F? You can't kill these things. Which is why people hate them so much. Just keep a handle on them.

Use a spade shovel all the way around the base - about 2 foot in diameter once a year - at the base. Cut any runners off that might be trying to "spread". And don't let the canes touch the ground. They'll root.

If you want some - let me know. I found some canes that rooted and decided to leave them. I'll send you some nice ones. Or I'll send you some from Mom's house. They're the orange ones.

I want to get the Madam Galens - they're yellow - and not supposed to be so rambunctious. (But if they're Campis Radicans - they are.)

Just yell - I'll send you several.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

I should go take some pics for you. I left a couple piles of the canes I just trimmed laying on the ground. You can see what I took OFF those things.

That way - you can see what I've got now versus 1 year of growing and then the following year - I had blooms.

And they bloom on new growth - so don't be afraid to whack 'em. They're not like clematis or a rose. If you make a mistake - SO WHAT?!?! (grin) Not like you'll be able to tell. (grin)

They are something that is a "beware" though. You really need to keep a handle on them.

Don't worry and feel free to whack them HARD back to the spot you want the growth to start. If you let them get too long and woody - you'll have bare spots without green or flowers.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Thats what I have now. A single long brown woody stem growing through an obelisk to the top. So I should just whack it back to where I want new growth to start? I have it away from everything else and am going to try to confine it to that spot. I was so dissapointed in it I started to yank it out and plant some other vine there. I got the coolest vine that the seed pods are shaped just like little wooden butterflies. I got a cutting from Xtal when I went to her house. She paints them to look like real butterflies and they look so real! I'll have to take a pic of one she gave me and post it later.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

It's impossible to kill a trumpet vine (campsis radicans). I'd been trying for about 10 years and finally gave up. They are beautiful in bloom but they are so invasive. I've had runners travel 30' under a deck and pop up on the other side. I try and rip up rrunners before they really take hold (fat chance!) and remove all the seed pods before they open. I've even resorted to strong chemicals which I never use. I'd cut down a main stem and inject it with a syringe full of various herbicides. No effect. I even used a product that people swore by called VineX. That was a temporary set back for the trumpet vine. Trumpet vines and cockaroaches will be the only things left alive after a nuclear war.
    Karyn

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Now your scaring me!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

4F4 - as I said - it's something that you must keep a handle on.

Are you sure you want it to keep growing? (grin)

Your call. Sure you wouldn't just rather a nice piece of euanymous? (grin)

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh no - it was in the 50s on Friday - high 50s on Saturday - 62 yesterday - 64 today - 51 tomorrow. . . .40 on Wednesday.

Those dumb Paulownias are gonna start to wake up and then get nailed by a freeze again. (They're so dumb)

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

I have the lavender trumpet vine all along the fence on one side in my backyard (came with the house), and that one too will grow all over the place. I have to cut some of it back because it climbs all over my lime tree by the pool and starts weighing the tree down. It is beautiful when it blooms though.

• rigo74
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! This weekend works included cleaning out the flower beds, cutting back dead cannas & banana trees.5 boxes & 6 trash bags later Im done! Spent sunday on the sofa playing monopoly with the kids, I lost :)
    Rigo74

• chena
    16 years ago

Purple Trumpet Vine.. Those are gorgeous..
    I swear I CAN NOT grow that stuff... A trumpet Vine at my house has death coming.. My husband calls them bugle boys and would love to have one.. LOL not happening...
    Kylie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Oh, boy I love purple, lol. I am debating whether to keep it or not. I will probably dig it up, then it will come back from the dead and take over the yard after I plant something else, lol.

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok you guys no one offered but I'm asking...I want some of the trumpet vines and some morning glories as long as they are not pale pink. Anyone want to share some of their bounty with me? (PLEASE). Ok, Pretty Please with sugar on it!

I also need ya'lls help with a difficult area I want to plant SOMETHING. It is in the shade all day, and the soil is lousy and I really can't amend it because of trees and roots. I have flowerbeds around the trees with vinca ground cover, daffs, and irises. I outlined the beds with iron ore rocks that are all over this place. They look real pretty but it's the area between the flowerbeds and the walkway that is nothing but dirt. What can I plant there that will grow good in the shade and look nice. I'm tired of looking at the dirt. Please keep in mind this area has SORRY SOIL and the huge trees will probably suck up most of the water.

Anyone got and ideals for me? I certainly would be thrilled with any of ya'lls thoughts. I'm brain dead when it comes to this area.

Happy Gardening, and please share some of the morning glory and trumpet vines with me. I have plenty of places they can take over....like the back 30 acres LOL.

Marian

• rigo74
    16 years ago

What about cast iron plant (aspidistria elatior)? Dark green leaves and they love shade.I have a few of these growing in my back yard.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Rigo - ya BEAT me to it. Aren't those things awsome?

Just boggles the mind. They're not hardy in my zone here but had them at the other place.

Just really amazing how they do.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Marian, when the weather is better, I can send you some lavender trumpet if interested - email me. I will try to get you some with roots. Eloise

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention I do have some cast iron plants around the trees. But even they took two years to even start to look decent.

Eloise, I'm out the door to work. If I can remember to email you when I get home about the lavender trumpet vine I will. But you folks know how forgetful I am. LOL

Chena asked me the other day what seeds I was wanting from her. I couldn't think what they were for the life of me. LOL Old age is so wonderful, you wake up in a new world everyday. (grin)

Happy Gardening Marian

• rigo74
    16 years ago

Dweeb- I just love cast iron plants, they are great and do well in the shade. Had some in full sun but had to move them.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor