SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hld6

Lilium Monadelphum, Canadense, and Grayii

hld6
17 years ago

Hi All,

I'll be receiving an order of immature bulbs of Monadelphum, Canadense, and Grayii in a few days. I've read as much as I could find on them but I'd love to hear of any of your experiences with growing these.

I'd especially like to "not kill" the grayii since it is an endangered lily. And all were a strain on my endangered checkbook!

:)

-Helen

Comments (3)

• lilydude
    17 years ago

I've grown canadense in Oregon, which is much cooler and less humid in summer than Maryland. I don't let the soil get too dry or too hot in summer. Keep the soil shaded with mulch and annuals and perennials. All my species lilies seem to like being grown with lots of other plants. But the lily stems do need to get several hours of sun each day, so don't let the companion plants get too tall. In your state, I would be tempted to provide afternoon shade. I feed them with NPK fertilizer from spring to midsummer, plus dolomite lime and trace element fertilizer occasionally. They usually last a few years for me, and then peter out. My guess is that grayi would grow under the same conditions. I don't have any experience with monadelphum. Wage total war on slugs, mice, gophers, moles...the usual suspects. They will annihilate your plants before you ever see them in the spring.

• hld6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply Lilydude,

I'm with you on the "slug wars". I've had those little #$%^&*@#! munch the tips off my lilies before, as you said, I even knew they were coming up. Now I go out there first thing in spring and make a perimeter of slug bait around my lily beds.

Ed McRae's book notes the same thing for growing Canadense in Oregon, (diminishing in a few years). He speculated on reason's (lack of summer humidity and virus) but didn't seem to be that definitive. It seems like the reverse of the difficulties found on the east coast trying to grow the west coast natives.

Your advice on companion plants is well taken. It makes sense that species lilies would need them more since plants don't grow alone in nature. I've started introducing Maryland natives to my garden - so I'll have to hit the spring native plant sales this season with an eye to "lily compatibility".

Do you grow your Canadense from seed? I'm trying that for the first time and have 4 little bulblets. Hopefully they'll leaf out after their winter chill.

-Helen

• lilydude
    17 years ago

I grow all my species lilies from seed. After you plant the seeds, canadense requires four months warm, then four to five months at 40F before it will germinate.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting