SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

FYI, a lure crop for Mexican Bean beetles

anney
13 years ago

Given the lure of radishes for flea beetles in my garden shown in this thread, I don't think the value of lure crops for insect pests can be overstated if the pests are destructive to your bean crops.

While flea beetles are too lively for hand dispatching (for me), the MBB is not, so if there's a patch where they all congregate leaving most everything else alone, they are definitely handleable.

I've been researching preferred host plants for Mexican Bean beetles, wondering whether soybeans are preferred over other bean plants by the MBB as was recommended on the Organic Gardening forum.

It would be great if someone would research or gather research already done on the preferences of Mexican Bean beetles in some sort of ranking, but all I could find was this link by the University of Florida that makes this claim:
It has been reported that some varietal

differences in leaf feeding damage from Mexican

bean beetle exist among common beans. Lima beans

are less preferred than snapbean. Among snapbeans,

the group called wax beans tends to be especially

preferred. Other types of beans such as mung beans,

P. aureus, cowpea, Vigna sinensis, and soybeans,

Glycine max, do not escape Mexican bean beetle

damage; however, they are not preferred and are most

damaged when they are grown in the vicinity of snap

and lima beans, more preferred hosts.

If you like wax beans and grow them each year to eat, this won't be very helpful to you if you have to battle the MBB. But I don't like wax beans that much, finding them too bland for the time and effort that are put into growing them, so it's very useful for me! I'm going to sow some of the wax bean seeds I have left over from other years a bit away from my green beans and see if the MBB prefers them to the beans I want to save from their depredations! So far, I haven't seen any MBB among my green beans, but all the literature states they become active in this area just about this time of year, so I need to hop to it.

[Posted in case it's helpful for you, too.]

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH