SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

When take out winter emergency potted lilies?

I dug up some lilies last fall to move to a new garden location. The lilies were waiting in my garage, and stayed firm and healthy looking. Then we got hit with rain for weeks and I never got the new location dug out. Then it got too cold. It was a weird fall: way too much rain and then a cold snap that stayed. In December I realized this was not going to happen but I didnÂt want to lose all those bulbs. The ground was frozen so I couldnÂt even plant them temporarily. I bought some bagged topsoil and put each variety in a pot (as many as I could get in, with maybe an inch between) and filled it with dirt. I put the filled pots together behind a stone wall, L-shaped, in my garden and put closed bags of topsoil over the lot.

When should I take them out? Since I STILL have to dig out the new garden, and get the background perennials planted (which are sleeping-and-I-hope-not-dead in my pot ghetto) should I let them sleep until I am ready? Move them in their pots to a reliably cool, and no sun, spot? The stone wall where they are now is going to warm up that nook

Comments (5)