SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
jjstatz

New light set up, cheap...ish

jjstatz
8 years ago

Wanted to post some info and images of my new set up light.

Materials and cost:

Lights: menards - Sylvania 32 Watt T8Cool white Fluorescent Bulb 12 Pack - 2550 lumens each, $25

Fixtures: menards - 2 light 48" shop lights, 9.99 each, 5 for 49.95

Plug strip, already had

Timer, black 24 hour - menards - 2.99

Rack - found at restaurant closing, they let me take it free!!!

Trays and cells from green house mega store

1020 Trays - Standard weight w/holes, 10 each $12.00

^did not mean to get with holes, will be going to wally-world to pick up no-hole trays. Eager much?

cells, Deep Inserts, 10/pack - #606, 6 cells/insert, 6 inserts/sheet $9.00

(I saw walmart has hex cells with a 1020 no hole tray and humidity dome for 2 dollars each... Kicking myself)

not pictured
10x20 hydrofarm heat mats - 2, found on amazon for about $22 each

Soil thermostat, hydrofarm - 1, amazon - $32

s hooks, $1 per package, 2

Grand total not including starter mix, seeds (oh god), tax, or replacement no hole 1020 trays - 154.94

I may buy 5 more fixtures and a beefed up plug strip, but I think I can get by with 2 1020 trays single-file as shown with one fixture over each. I'm a little worried about the 6-8 week seedlings I'll be starting soon getting leggy since they'll be under lights the longest.

The whole set up:
{{gwi:220145}}

fancy chain lengthen-er... safetypins...
{{gwi:220146}}

Timer and plug in strip
{{gwi:220147}}

Some new babies under the lights
{{gwi:220149}}
For those wondering...
Just came in today from wellspring, left to right

Colocasia Esculenta 'Black Coral'
Anthurium Tricolor
Colocasia 'Puckered Up'
Bird of Paradise - White Giant
Alocasia macrorrhiza - Borneo Giant Elephant Ear

(going to be a major pot-up)

For humidity on trays, since GHMS doesn't carry a humidity dome tall enough for the deep cells, i'll be using the ever so fancy plastic wrap and skewer method.

Since I only have two heat mats and one thermostat, I've sorted my seeds into heat groups and sub grouped by germination speed - they'll be started in batches grouped accordingly and then moved off the heat mats allowing the next group to go in to be started. The germinated batch will be moved up to a blank spot under (more) lights and plastic wrap removed.

For ventilation, the overpowered ceiling fan should keep things moving. The alo/colocasia's are swaying with it on, I think it'll be plenty for everything all told.

See any issues? Think this is enough light? Or should I go ahead and put in a 2nd set of fixtures?

Thanks!

Jordan

Comments (11)

Sponsored
ANF Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Fairfax County's Quality Driven Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Firm