SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmommy_2010

Help - First Time Starting Seeds!!!

gardenmommy_2010
13 years ago

So, I'm a new gardener and want to start my own tomato seeds this year to get the heirlooms that I want. Due to some family problems, I didn't get my seeds started till now and just planted them in their little styrafoam cups two days ago. I've been keeping them in my baby's room since that's the warmest room in the house. But, just realized that the seeds don't care that the room is warm, the soil temp reads at 66 degrees. I'm planning on putting them under 4' fluoresdent shop lights in our living room (short on space) once they pop out of the ground but should I do that now to try & keep the soil warmer? I don't have a heating mat but do have a people heating pad. Should I use that? Also, I planted at least twice as many as what I want in the hopes that some survive my clumsy efforts. Is that too many, not enough? Do you typically have a good survival rate? Assuming some live, at what point should I transplant into separate pots? I've got about 4-5 in each styrafoam cup right now. Thanks for all your help!

Comments (9)