SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_rose_gw

yellow leaves of first real leaves on seedlings

kate_rose
19 years ago

I am now growing some White-Tufted Evening Primrose (Oenothera caespitosa) from seed. They are native plants from the southwest that like good drainage/rocky soil. Their first set of real leaves are turning a bit yellowish & I am concerned.

The penstemons that are growing in the exact same conditions are not having this problem & they too like good drainage. They are under grow lights (about 2-3 inches from the bulbs). Last year when I had them higher I got leggy looking plants (different species though). I water from the bottom when the pots start getting light with some H2O2 added to the water. They are out in my unheated sunroom which is attached to the house but I keep the door closed (I put a heater on if the night will be cool & I have a fan going for good air circulation. Someone here suggested that with natives especially its best to let there be some temperature fluctuations. I used sterilized peat moss & vermiculite to plant them in. Could they be needing fertilizer already? They are still so tiny. Don't want to loose these so any advice would be much appreciated.

I did try to look up yellowed seedlings in a search but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County