SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliat_gw

Petunias (LOL) - time to get first set of 'real' leaves?

juliat
18 years ago

Okay, don't laugh - this year, among other seeds, I'm trying those frilly docissima flambe petunias. The seeds germinated just fine, but now, several weeks after germination, they are still TINY little seedlings with their cotelydons (the first two "leaves") but no REAL leaves yet. What's going wrong?

Here's what I did with these. Used the nursery's seed-starting sterile soil mixture - it does have some little wood chips in it, which surprised me, since Gardeners' Supply Company's, which I used last year, doesn't. But my zinnias and tomatoes don't seem to mind; some of them already have their "real" leaves.

Put the soil mix in a plastic container with drainage holes; wetted the mix gently and thoroughly; planted the seeds. Did not put them on heat; the instructions said no bottom heat. They germinated fine.

I have had them under my flourescent lights since then - probably about 3 weeks. Am bottom-watering with mix of water and some hydrogen peroxide solution when the top soil starts to dry out. Have occasionally had the fan on near them.

But no growth to speak of! They are still teeny seedlings. Is this the norm for petunias?!

Thanks,

Julia

Comments (5)