SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orcascove

Bean newbie requests help with Calypso beans

Orcascove
14 years ago

Hi everyone!! For the very first time I am venturing into beans. I apologize but I do not know the technical terms for growing beans. So this post may sound overly layman. However because I don't know the terms, I would appreciate layman responses as well.

Here's my details: I am growing Black Yin Yang/ Calypso/Orca beans. I received them in trade, and could use some help.

There are only 2 people here, so I do not need or have room for 100 foot of anything, my veggie garden is a raised narrow (as in 80 ft by 2ft) well amended bed. It works great to plant tomatoes, brussel sprouts, and one other something I want to try new each year...

Here's what I have already found by internet searches, please let me know if it's NOT correct.

18-24 in tall bush bean - means it doesn't need trellis or support. Likes full sun to part shade, takes 90/100 days to mature for dry beans (which is my intention).

Here's what I would like to know about:

I have room to plant ONE row of these. It that ok or do they need to be done in multiple rows for pollination purposes? Could I maybe get away with zig zag staggering them if one row won't work?

How far apart do I plant the individual seeds. I found info saying plant 1 in deep, but nothing on the spacing. Anyone know how wide these get to determine spacing??

How many seeds should I plant to allow 2 people a meal? (I'm not looking to feed the whole neighborhood, just us, once or twice with something unique).

I run a soaker hose to make sure my tomato plants get the water they need (summers are hot here in Ohio). Should I be concerned about the beans rotting because of to much water? Are they dry soil or moist soil lovers?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert