SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Ground Cover for Hostas (Paula, answered you here)

Gesila
10 years ago

I didn't want to steal Don's thread showing his pictures of his hostas, so I'll answer Paula's question here as will as give a little bit of input about my experience with ground cover around my hostas.

Paula, I found that Creeping Jenny started looking messy and got in the way when I was crawling around to get out the weeds and Maple tree seedlings that grew in it. IMHO, I found it distracting. However, I might save a piece or two and try growing some of it in one of my potted hostas where it can be contained and more easily groomed. keep finding little pieces that I have to swab with Round-Up to eliminate.

Lilly of the Valley. I have one bed that has LOV and hostas. I just got done digging up all of the hostas in it and ripping out all of the LOV roots out of them. What a HUGE MESS!! I'll be spraying Round-Up on the LOV and then will have to set the hostas in pots on patio blocks in this garden until I can get rid of all of the LOV. LOV look wonder in the spring but look terrible by mid July.

Sweet Woodruff. This is the only ground cover I've been happy with so far. Chris at Hallsons finds it to be invasive, but I haven't experienced that yet. I find that it looks neat and tidy, maintains a nice color all season, and love the delicate spring flowers.

Pachysandra. I love my Pachysandra. They keep the soil from becoming compact and moist and also keep the Maple tree roots away from my hostas. They do tend to be invasive, but are easy to pull out. Pachysandra's stay green all year and this bed looks nice year round. However, I reached down the other day to pick up a what I thought to be a dog collar and almost had a 4 ft snake in my hand. I haven't been back in that garden since and when I get back from vacation at the end of July, all of the Pachysandra's will be moved into the woods.

Gesila

Comments (21)