SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whippetgood_gw

avid seed starter: 1000w MH light??

whippetgood
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am an obsessive seed starter. I've been seeding and growing-on hundreds of plants (bedding, fruit, veg and herb) per season, for 10 years. I grow under "gro-light" florescent tubes mounted in an open shelving unit. I can only grow them so big due to the fact I can't raise the lights very high. So, this year I got the idea to maybe move up to a 1000W Metal Halide set-up. I thought I could start my seeds, raise them up to be big, strong plants and maybe even grow some peppers, tomatoes and herbs during the long winter. But, it's primary use would be to start seeds and plants and grow them on to put out in the garden. My question would be: is this a sensible idea or a completely silly one? Do I need this amount of light to do what I always did with my florescents? Would it make any improvements to my growing situation to make it worth the extra expensive? Has anyone done this and was pleased, or conversely, disappointed? Any comments or suggestions are most welcome!! I want to know as much as I can before I leap into something dumb!!

Thank you all, so much.

Comments (2)