SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)

oldbat2be
9 years ago

I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders last year, intending to direct sow outdoors.

Unfortunately, the year slipped by and I never got around to it. I'd appreciate your input on how to best get these seeds started indoors. Goal is to transplant them outdoors when they are large enough.

I am fortunate enough to have a decent sized greenhouse (built by the previous owner who was an avid gardener). Unfortunately, 17 years later, the surrounding trees have really matured and the direct sunlight is not what it used to be. From last Spring:

I essentially use the greenhouse as a potting shed, but occasionally start a few seedlings. Plant in potting soil and hopefully remember to water occasionally.

Questions for the forum (and please redirect me, if there's a better place for them).

1) Should I have concerns about planting seed packets from last year? They've been stored indoors (55-65 degrees).

2) What do I need to successfully grow from seed? From potting soil to what kind of lights to use, I'd appreciate specific product recommendations. DH is pretty handy and can build/rig up pretty much anything.

Comments (6)