SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctack2

Are they worth digging up?

ctack2
16 years ago

My dad and his wife are selling their house. They have a 2 1/2 car garage that is bordered on one side and all across the back with iris's. They asked me if I wanted any of them since they were selling and I told them that I did. I went over there last week, and they have cut down ALL the foliage! They are so thick, the ground looks like braided tree roots. I told her they shouldn't have cut the leaves off until they died down because they feel the plant for blooms next year. She said "Oh, they'll come back! I do this every year." Whether she does or not, I don't know,but do you all think they are worth digging up? I bet there is enough there to fill up a 55 gallon drum or two, but I don't want to go to all the work of digging, cleaning, planting and then not get anything from them.

The blooms had died down, and since I wasn't over there right before they cut them, I don't know what the foliage looked like, but I'm sure it wasn't all died down, just maybe a little ragged looking.

If I do dig them, what should I do before planting them? I'm in Middle Tennessee, and we're in the 90's now so is it too hot to replant? I don't have a cool place to store them except maybe in the house somewhere because the garage is hot and they would fill a fridge if I had an extra one.

What should I do?

Thanks for the help.

Carol B

Comments (4)

Sponsored