SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

how to tell if trees are root bound

Seen a lot of posts here about how to plant bare root stock. It's got me wondering if the slow growing 1st batch of trees I planted are suffering from improper planting.

wondering if it's worth digging up a couple of the trees to see what the roots have done in 3 years.

Trees definitely were nitrogen deficient which I addressed last year and will continue to do so.

I'm certain they weren't planted too deep as I kept the graft a couple of inches above the soil. I also trimmed the occasional root that was too long for the hole. trees were mulched with wood chips and watered as needed.

I did mix in black topsoil with the backfill since the soil in the planting areas was rather sandy. I saw some comments that maybe this limits root development.

The trees are on semi-dwarf rootstock and I was expecting fruit by the 3rd or 4th year. No fruit (and very few blossoms)last year but growth was much improved with urea application.

I have mature trees I planted 10+ years ago that bear well but they did take a good 5 years to start bearing so maybe I'm just being impatient or I need to get a lot more liberal with the fertilizer. (pre-planting soil test said 10-10-10 annually, no noted deficiencies.)

as always advice or suggestions welcome. I'll did 'em all up if I have to!

Comment (1)