SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Seed Saving in a Small Way

I just reread the thread on Isolation Distance, the use of Agribon etc. a wealth of information in this thread.

I have a minuscule patch compared to most of you but still want to sample as many kinds of beans as I can this year. I also want to save enough seed from each to grow again if it turns out to be a winner in my location.

With the exception of 4 varieties, IWK, Tennessee Cutshorts, Mr. Tung and another I haven't decided on I'll be growing the rest to see #1 they will grow here, #2 we like the texture/flavor. These will be on single poles fairly close together so will have to bag blossoms to stop crossing.

Last year I had some success by using tulle, folding a piece around the flower, pole and all and using a darning needle and wool to stitch it closed, that worked but was too darn fiddly. I then tried clothes pegs to hold the tulle together, that was a little easier. After the beans formed I took the tulle off and tied a piece of wool around the beans, this means hands off in my garden.

I've think I've come up with another way to bag these individual blossoms, if it works I'll share, if it doesn't, mums the word. One way the tulle will be reusable, the other not.

Anyone else bagging individual blossoms, please share how you do it. I'm sure there are quite a few of us with small patches that would be interested in your method.

Annette

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting