SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wodka

companion plants for Encore azaleas?

16 years ago

Maybe I'll have better luck here than the azalea forum.

We are in a new house, thus new yard/landscaping. The back yard is narrow, and faces the golf course. We have a black wrought iron fence, and the far side of the house is the most showy - outdoor fireplace/patio/kitchen, shrubs, trees, etc. The back next to the house has shrubs and a camelia bush. I decided to decorate the blank side against the fence corner with three Encore Autumn Carnation azaleas. All along the fence I have planted Confederate jasmine vines.

To me, the azaleas look kind of stark, just sitting there by themselves in the corner of the yard. When the jasmine takes off, it will help soften the background, and hopefully, the azaleas will grow and not look so uniform as they appear right now. In hindsight, I probably should have planted something taller behind the azaleas, but I planted them so close to the fence, there's not much room now.

Is there anything, preferrably perennial, that I could plant to border the azaleas that would make them more attractive? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! If this doesn't make sense, I'll try to take a picture of it sometime soon and post it, to help explain.

Comments (9)

Sponsored