SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shade_tolerant

Before Spring is Over

shade_tolerant
10 years ago

I wanted to share a few photos. I hope I remember how to post them.

Alex Summers

Gin and Tonic

Clearfork River Valley

Banana Boat

And a close-up of the leaf, I like the colors in it.

Dawn's Early Light settling down from the earlier brighter yellow coloring

Andrew

Jade Cascade, because green is nice too

Gunther's Prize--I always have to remove a non streaky eye or two from this one

Super Nova, trying to revert back to all blue

Rainbow's End with some smaller ones

Satisfaction

Frost Giant, this one really surprised me, keeps the frosty blue coating for a good while.

Comments (30)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Your hosta are gorgeous.

bk

• marquest
    10 years ago

Those are some beauties. I am happy you remembered how to post pics. Good to see you.

• Related Discussions

Garlic not coming up in spring after sprouting before winter

Q

Comments (14)
    What you have are "rounds," which is what a garlic plant will produce if it doesn't have the resources to make a full divided bulb. As mild as the winter was, if you had significant top growth before a cold snap, it may have killed the tops, leaving the cloves with little resources to grow on. Or maybe the soil is extremely poor/sandy. Or they were planted too close. But what you said about them growing tops in the fall and then none in the spring makes me think they were planted too early. I would plant no sooner than mid October. That way they will establish roots but not too much of a top before cold weather hits. Also make sure to mulch them well with straw or leaves, and make sure there is plenty of organic matter in the soil. In the spring they will need adequate fertility and moisture to reach their full potential, but should be allowed to dry down a bit before harvesting. Hope this helps, Jim
    ...See More

Is it too late (April 19) to cut back before spring planting?

Q

Comments (1)
    I've successfully taken cutting from late Jan to late summer. I cut under a node.
    ...See More

NWTN garden planning help...

Q

Comments (5)
    Hey Stephanie! Welcome to Gardenweb. It's a little hard to answer your question(s) because I'm not sure specifically what you are looking for. I will try to cover some possibilities. For the vegetable garden, probably the best single source of planting schedules and general info for Tennessee can be found in a UT ag extension document that I've linked to many times here. There are also many other documents available at the UT ag extension website. Here are those links: Growing Vegetables in Home Gardens Publication: www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/pbfiles/PB901.pdf UT Ag Extension Documents Main Page: www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/default.htm As for planting other things, like annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, etc, I could give you more info if I knew more specifics about what you wanted to plant. Here is a link about planting trees and shrubs that may be helpful: Planting a Tree or Shrub: sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that I can. Just ask here or email me directly.
    ...See More

WANTED: Chives or Bells of Ireland

Q

Comments (1)
    hi jay, I have chive seeds you can have for ssae
    ...See More
  • Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Glad you are back! I remember you from long ago...I like your screen name. Beautiful mature hostas.

-Babka

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Well,hey Eileen! Welcome back! Nice to see you posting again. Your plants have always been beautiful,and it's time you returned. I hope I spelled your name right,if not,I apologize! Anyhow,nice plant pics,and glad you remembered how to posr them. Phil

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Love it when someone with a camera pops in to entertain us lol! Hope you will be back! Great plants - I see why you are particularly fond of that single leaf.
    Jan

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful Hosta. That's actually one of the biggest 'Andrew' I've seen.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful awesome, thank you for such a treat.
    I am a fan of the Clear Fork River Valley. I get the impression it is a giant hosta in a smaller body, because it has big presence.
    Mine is blooming now, and has set pods in its second year here.

Please give us more of your garden images. Glad you found your way back to the forum.

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you bkay and marquest!
    Babka I remember enjoying pictures of your beautiful potted garden, it was so serene and peaceful.
    Hey to you too Phil! Yes, that's the way I spell it, good memory. So happy to see familiar names here as well as new ones. I remember your gorgeous shady hosta garden on the hill. Good to see you here as well!
    Jan and Don, thanks also for your nice comments.
    Jan now that I figured out how to post again the second time should be a piece of cake, it took me forever to post these pictures.
    Don, seems that pesky Andrew is a rather slow one, isn't he? I'm thinking mine is about three years planted now.
    Moccasin, that hosta CFRV I am a fan of as well. I would call it a large hosta in my garden, I'm wondering how big it will ultimately get. Mine is just starting to show a bloom way down low in the leaves, you're two zones warmer than me. I'll look forward to seeing a pic of yours in bloom!

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing pics of your garden. Your hosta are Jersey Strong!

• chris-e
    10 years ago

Now that is what I like about hanging out here. Of all your hosta pictured, I only have Rainbow's End and Satisfaction out of over 150 I have. But we get to see so many beautiful plants that everyone else has. And drool, and wish, and want...but some of us have run put of room!

chris

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!!! I love Gin and tonic especially. But like Chris, I am out of room:(

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I love them all!

Your Banana Boat is awesome. This one never really excited me until I saw yours.

I've been looking for a large hosta with some color to put in the back of the gardens with a bunch of large solid greens. It looks like Frost Giant would fit the bill. Your Frost Giant is the best one I've seen.

I just got Andrew and heard it's fussy. What kind of sun is your's getting? It's beautiful!

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

The Clear Fork River Valley is a great hosta. Tough as Humphrey Bogart but just as neat and well dressed. In bloom he looks like this

Last August 2012 in the shade

2013 May 6

2013May16

And then this week, seed pods would you believe? Hopefully the pods are fertile.

One of my favorite hosta......at least this moment. :)

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    10 years ago

Beautiful hostas, beautifully photographed. Thanks for a wonderful show. My wish list has just grown.

Steve

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

It's good to see you back again. I hope you will stay. You have beautiful plants and I remember beautiful gardens. It seems to me there was one taken out of a window? Maybe I'm making that up but it would be nice to see shots of your gardens...hint, hint. Myrle

• User
    10 years ago

Oh yes, I remember some shots out of a window, maybe that was on the New England Forum though, they did it a lot there.

When I was deciding what to plant in my MoccasinLanding garden, I took pictures from every window in the house, so I could tell what part of the garden was visible from each one. Then I set about planting the picture I wanted to see from that spot.

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Mbug, I think we are the only two from NJ posting on the forum? From a fellow garden stater the hostas appreciate your Jersey Strong comment, they went through Sandy last year and somehow dodged the falling 100 foot white pine. Luckily our house missed it too!

Chris I hear you about running out of room, I have about 600 varieties and have to squeeze in here and there too what with tree roots creeping all over the place.

Coll agreed! G&T is one of my favorite ten.

Gesila I would definitely recommend Frost Giant, just a really nice giant hosta, would make a nice statement with your solid greens.
    My Andrew is getting good afternoon sun for about two hours, filtered sun the rest of the day.

Moccasin your Clear Fork RV is looking good! Seems to be growing really well for you!

Steve that's the trouble with this forum, every time you think no more another hosta pops up and goes into the must have column.

And McT the classic enabler! I had seriously cut down on my hosta purchases. I was tired of chasing rabbits, voles, slugs, cutworms, everything. Then I made the mistake of checking this forum and I saw your beautiful gardens arranged so superbly.

One post led to another and I saw many lovely hostas and gardens from old,familiar screen names I recognized from years back and newer hostaholics as well.
    I think the hosta forum recharges our garden batteries after a long winter, I know it does for me!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Just bumping this thread, since the fabulous photos brightened my rainy day!

• timhensley
    10 years ago

You have some beautiful hostas. I have not seen Banana Boat or Frost Giant before. Now I think Iust have them.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Tim- I wanna steal that phrase..."I lust have them". So explanatory.

-Babka

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

They are all so beautiful, but I particularly liked Banana Boat and Rainbow's End.

I like the title 'Before Spring is Over' because it has only just begun here with some pips coming up but not nearly enough to bother to count yet.

A few of the ones that you have, I also have but if I posted pics, it would have to be from 2013, so I will wait :) We all get to enjoy a prolonged spring because you southerners go first and when your spring is done, then ours is in full swing, therefore; lots of pics for a longer period of time!

Perhaps I shouldn't use the term 'southerners' but more like 'warmer zoned people' :)

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Thu, May 1, 14 at 14:36

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I think Mocc, Paula and I can all be called Southerners. Paula is Southern by choice, I think. Mocc and I are Southern by birth. My guess is that Phil is a Southerner. He has Southern manners. Babka is a confirmed Californian. Funn has to speak for herself as does Santa Miller. (I don't know them that well yet.)

bk

• threedogsmom
    10 years ago

Wow, some of those I have never heard of and they are amazing!! Where do you buy your more unusual ones? Thanks for sharing!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

That Banana Boat is something special. Thanks for bumping this thread, Jadie.

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Ravensfan, I hear great things about Wade and Gatton. I'll post a link to their catalog/website, it's HUGE.

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wade and Gatton Nurseries, Bellville, OH

• User
    10 years ago

Don, Ravensfan, I scrolled up to find the question about Wade Gatton, but did not find it.

I purchased a lot from them, especially the lesser available fragrant hosta. In their catalog if it has a "D" in a column off to the right, it means Mr. Van Wade himself will be DIGGING and DIVIDING to get your plant. Out of respect for him, I would try to minimize the DIGGERS with each order. I simply called and talked with the ladies, but now and again I got the big man himself. His nursery and botanical garden make it feel like shopping at the Library of Congress for books! Amazing collection to browse in the catalog. One of these days, I'm taking a hosta road trip, which will include a trip to Wade & Gatton!

One I really like is White Knight (OS), a fragrant

Harry Van De Laar came from them too, outstanding
    Three from Wade shown left to right are Princetta, Harry Van De Laar, and Joanne Johnson. While Harry isn't fragrant the other two are.

A small gold: Nakaiana 'Golden' (OS)does great all year

Bette Davis Eyes (OS)is another fragrant from Wades

Old Faithful and Aqua Velva, two more fragrants from Wades.

Feather Boa (OS) is really small but frilly looking

Dear Heart (OS) in this picture (Queen of The Sea not from Wade)

Navajo (OS) and Night Before Christmas (OS) taken last year together. Don't know how I missed shooting them this spring....

So I look for the OS when available, especially with fragrant hosta. Many more from them too.

Such as
    Jade Stone (a big fragrant with 6 inch blooms) and Inniswood

• santamiller
    10 years ago

What a fantastic set of pictures! Hard to choose a couple of favorites, but if I just had to I guess I'll go with Gunther's Prize, followed closely by Banana Boat. Looking at people's pics never gets old. Thanks for posting.

bkayâ¦..I was born and raised in San Antonio, then lived in Dallas for 20 years, East Texas for 8 or 9 years, Mexico for almost 4 years, back to East Texas for a year before recently returning to San Antonio.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics, Mocc...Ravensfan asked about where to maybe get more unusual varieties, so Wade Gatton popped into my head immediately, because of their gigantic catalog.

Don B.

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to Jadie for bumping up this old post from last year --I had forgotten what some of my own hostas looked like. Thanks also for the nice comments. Those pix were from last year when I thought spring was moving way too fast and would soon be over in NJ. This year it's a totally different story, most of my hostas are still in the inbetween stage, not quite all the way unfurled for picture taking, but just days away.
    (Mocc, very nice pix)

To answer some of the questions:
    Tim--both Banana Boat and Frost Giant are two of my favorites, BB being a good growing small one and FG a troublefree big guy
    Paula-- Rainbow's End is another fave, seems to always look good. I'm in the northeast, zone 7 so my hostas don't come up quite as early.
    Ravensfan--I recommend Hallson Perennials and Naylor Creek. Most of my hostas are at least a few years old before I take their pic. I've also purchased from my local hosta society and have bought from some other online nurseries that either sold, closed or don't ship online anymore.
    Santamiller--I love Gunther's Prize but it's a bit of a pain since I have to keep close watch on it, every year it throws an aggressive green eye that looks to take over the clump but still worth the effort.

• luuk
    10 years ago

s_t, what a wonderful pictures, a truly outstanding plants !
    Like mocc I'm a fan of the Clear Fork River Valley.

...mocc, thanks for the photo report, ...my CFRV has always had pods with a very fertile seeds.