SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

Tomato Plant & Coper Wire Experiment

vgkg Z-7 Va
22 years ago

Hi Folks, well as some of you may know I had tried this exp last year also with results that seemed slightly better than "unchanged". Giving it another try this year with better controls.

Basic premise: The presence of copper (wire) would help the tomato plants be more resistant to "blight" related diseases during the course of the growing season.
Material: 12" length of 18 gauge, uninsulated copper wire (usually for wall picture hanging). 12" per tomato plant.

In spring, right after transplanting your tomato plants (assuming main vine is at least 1/4" in diameter and transplant shock is over). Insert or force one end of the wire thru the center of the main vine about 1" above ground level. Kink the protruding wire end so that it doesn't slip out of the vine. Force the remainer of the wire (9-10") into the root zone in the ground. That's all that's to it.

This year I did this to 7 of my ~40 tomato plants. The order is as follows: 1 control + 1 wired
2 Mr. Stripy
2 German Striped
2 Pink Brandwines
2 Cherokee Purples (not really CPs)
2 SuperSteaks
2 Super Tasty
+ 1 extra SuperSteak for the heck of it.

Of the above, both the control & wired are side by side in same plot with same soil type, same fertilizer, watering & sunlight.

Now that I'm about 2/3 thru the growing season I can report that so far the results are identical to last year. Almost no differences between the controls & wired. The most major differece noticed was that some of the wired plants are slightly larger than the controls. This is especially true with the Mr. Stripy & German Striped. But on all my plants the amount of "blight" is about equal whether wired or not. That being the typical lower leaves are dieing off just as they normally would on the majority of all my plants.

These results will be ongoing up to killing frost or killing blights, which ever comes first. The real story is never over till the end so I'll update this thread as things worth reporting become evident.

Note: My 2 Super Tasties are the only determinants in this exp and both are just about finished for the season. There was no noticable difference between these 2 plants.
Also, the 2 Cherokee Purples are not really CPs as I had thought, the tomatoes are purple but all are small sized (2" dia tops) and all are very prone to cracking/spliting. Again, no noticable difference between these either.

Updates to follow, I am open to any posted questions and also very interested in anyone else's observations who may be doing this exp too. Please post here if you wish.
I shall return, vgkg

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH