SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sidnee_gw

Must transplant hostas from OLD stone planter

sidnee
15 years ago

that is aproximately 7' x 7'. DH is not willing or able (working nights) to help me build another one at this time. I really want a nice above ground planter for some of my smaller hostas.

Now, I have recently increased the size of my perennial bed across the front of the house. It is now 2.5 times wider. Did I say I was a hostaholic?

At any rate here is my question, the hostas in the old stone planter were receiving morning sun, 3 hours tops. The front of my house faces the west, but I do have quite a bit of shade in a small area, the sun shines on the new and soon to be improved bed for aproximately 4 hours in the afternoon.

I am a lurker here, I have learned so much reading the posts, and I know that hostas are shade tolerant. The hostas that I need to move are blue mouse ears (I have a shady area for this little guy), Kabitan, Praying Hands and June and maybe two Lakeside Sunrise In the existing bed I have Patriot, Auro Marginata (sp), Francee, Sum and Substance, Golden Tiara, Gold Standard, Stilleto, Tattoo, and Iron Gate. I think that is all of them. I also have some perennials that are part/shade, part/sun.

Will I burn them by moving them at this time? I am off work for awhile and have the time to do this. I don't want to do any damage to my babies, some of them are 5-7 years old, not the ones in the planter though, they are 3-4 years old.

Thanks,

Sid

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor