SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gt182

(not so) Endless Summer - help needed

13 years ago

Let me say that I have been trying to grow these plants for like 5 years. Every year I would pray they would come back after winter and usually would have to replace a few of them using the guarantee of the nursery. One year I got no blooms at all due to a late frost. Even when they come up, it seems they are not growing very vigorously and not getting very full or tall. My 3 healthiest ones are about 2.5-3 feet tall. I have 7 now in total. The 3 best ones flowered nicely but have not bloomed again since early summer? I even cut off the old blooms to promote new ones. The other 4 are just puny and sickly looking and look more like little flowers than shrubs? They flowered a little also, but are just so pathetic looking. i used a slow release fertilizer in may and again in early August (for acid loving plants). I also used aluminum sulfate to make them blue. anyway, how can I get these to grow big and lush and secondly how do I get them to flower repeatedly? When you buy these at the nursery they are lush and full of huge blooms. I had read not to expect those full blooms and lush plants for a few years after planting because it is a marketing ploy of the nurseries. This past Fall I cut the stems to about 6 inches and then buried them in mulch and leaves, and that helped to ensure all of them at least came up and didn't die. As a result I also got talled shrubs this year than last. It seems that if they do not get a jump growing in the spring before the summer hits they just stunt their growth. That is tough when we get these late frosts up until May (central ohio).

Comments (3)