SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19796976

Hosta under Black Walnut Tree

User
9 years ago

Have any of you found a certain type of hosta that did not do well under black walnut trees? Our neighbor has one right on their side of the property line, so unfortunately I can't cut it down.
I've avoided doing anything with that area except for a river birch that's flourished nearby, so it's a shady spot just begging to be turned into a large hosta bed.
In one afternoon I planted in that area:
Gold Standard,
American Halo
Sum and Substance
Guacamole
Twilight
Blue Hawaii
Whirlwind
Earth Angel
All seem to be doing well except the Gold Standard. It's not "dying" but it's just laying flat on the ground looking pitiful. It seemed healthy in the pot, although extremely root bound.
I'm wondering if I should risk further trauma to pull it back up, soak it for a while and maybe take a hand tiller to that spot and make sure there isn't any soil compaction. That's a nice area though in terms of soil. The only issue is the black walnut toxins, which I've read most hosta can tollerate. But I wonder if Gold Standard is one that may not.
I also transplanted a ton of ferns to that same general area and even they aren't protesting the transplant like they sometimes do. It was a very busy day for me with all that transplanting and planting! I can't wait for a couple of years from now when everything is all filled out there.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville