SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

I planted a few things over the past two years

franknjim
12 years ago

I found some pics from 2009 back when I had about a dozen varieties of hosta and started getting the bug again and had decided to plant a few things in the front yard. I am up to 195 varieties now. I don't have much space to work with but I am stuffing it full. My two huge trees are the ever dreaded Silver Maples. At the rate they are going I will probably lose them within the next ten years so I have their replacements already planted. I have planted about 60 new hostas so far this year with another 15 in pots ready to go in. Since my Maples lost branches between the house and trees I use shade cloth all the way across the front of the house temporarily until the branches grow back. I plan on the entire yard being solid hostas with a very narrow path thru the middle. The path is about 2' wide now but I will probably narrow that down a bit to add more minis. :)

Before. Early mormning sun. Notice the little tree seedling in front of the Maple. It is something I put in just to see if it would grow. It is supposed to be hardy to zone 6. I live in zone 5. It is a paulownia tree that supposedly can grow up to 18' in one year. The leaves get 16" wide.

{{gwi:1023994}}
After. Early mormning sun. The little tree seedling has grown a bit after dying back to the ground over the first winter.

{{gwi:1023995}}
Before. Early morning sun.

{{gwi:998358}}
After. Early morning sun.

{{gwi:1023996}}
Before. Overcast day.

{{gwi:1023997}}
After. Morning sun.

{{gwi:1023999}}
Before. Mid afternoon sun without the shade cloth. The shade cloth extends the shade out farther into the yard until the branches grow back.

{{gwi:1024000}}
After. Early morning sun.

{{gwi:1024001}}

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida