SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fampoula_gw

Please help-- newly planted limelight sinking in clay soil

fampoula
10 years ago

Any advice is most appreciated. I am in northern Illinois in zone 5. Bought a limelight hydrangea on Tuesday and planted it Saturday. While it was in the pot, it was loving the full sun location it was in.

This is our first summer in our new house and the soil in the front bed is terrible--only about 2-3 inches of top soil and then clay. I realize now I should have planted annuals while working on amending the soil. In any case, before planting the hydrangea, I dug a hole at least twice as wide as the container and started working in organic matter (Dr. Green's planting mix--later told bad idea because contains peat...), also worked in some top soil (mix of sand and peat--also not good, but didn't know then. In addition to this, even though everything I read said to dig no deeper than the bottom of the root ball, I instead dug deeper than that in order to work more organic matter into the clay below. I then watered and let sit overnight to settle.

So.... on Saturday I went to the local nursery. They advised against anything with peat and recommended cotton burr compost instead. I went home and worked that into the soil conserved for filling the hole. Then, I broke up the rootball of the hydrangea (during which a lot of the soil at the bottom of the hydrangea came out which made it sit lower in the hole). I tried to fill this in with soil, then water, then add more soil, but I had to do everything while holding the hydrangea up and in place, so it was very awkward.

Anyway, I think I may not have gotten enough soil underneath the one side of the plant because it is leaning forward a bit. I need advice on what I should do. The plant will be 72 hours in the hole by tomorrow afternoon, so I don't think it would be too terrible to dig it out (this time with my husband) and re-plant it into the same hole with more soil for support. (At the same time, I could amend the soil more, if necessary--I feel like part of the reason the plant is sagging is because the soil is so heavy when it's wet. Also, I am afraid of root rot). On the other hand, I don't want to stress the plant more. I should mention it also has some yellow leaves at the bottom and it's top leaves are starting to wilt a bit. Thoughts??

Comments (24)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH