SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marianne1625

Hunting this historic blue flag iris

marianne1625
11 years ago

Some time about1632 Mary Willemsen Gardiner, wife of Lion Gardiner, wrote home to Holland: " The blue flags that we brought with us are doing nicely in our kitchen garden". The kitchen garden, with a large bed of blue flags, was perpetuated by the proprietors of Gardiner's Island for centuries..In 1952 Starr Gardiner Cooper wrote the following:
In 1912 my father (G. Duane Cooper), my uncle A. Gardiner Cooper and I visited Gardiner's Island. Lion Gardiner welcomed us cordially. When we were leaving, he asked if I would like a piece of the island for myself. He said that he had in mind something living since the island's earliest days, and he himself dug a clump of blue flags and told me their history.
I divided the clump between our yard at Shelton Island Heights and the Cooper-Gardiner plot in the Sag Harbor Cemetery, where they blossomed again last spring, 1952.
My clump at Shelton Island has flourished and multiplied so that I have given clumps from it to Sylvestor Manor on Shelton Island, to Miss Sahra Gardiner in East Hampton, and the President's House at Yale.
The iris , when received, was planted and allowed to flower. It is quite unlike any modern variety and quite resembles ancient drawings and paintings of blue flag."

If any history buff/gardener can locate this long lost iris our historical garden near Mary Gardiner's first home, would love a picture, seedling or root cutting.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County