SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehearty

Relatively complicated ? about ES size, die back, flower color

mehearty
16 years ago

Hi =)

I bought a 5g ES this spring before it had really leafed out. Normally I wouldn't buy something like that so early but I didn't want to risk the GC being out of stock in the large size when it was leafed out.

I planted it in between 2 shrubs (Miss Kim & QuickFire) figuring there was plenty of room and knowing that macrophylla generally dies down to the ground here. It has been a strange season, and everything in my garden has grown MUCH more than I expected this soon (I wonder if messenger had anything to do with it). I can see that by next season if ES doesn't lose a lot of its growth to die back, all 3 shrubs will be touching.

So my first question is, how much size do you lose to die back? If a plant is 3 feet heading into winter, will it possibly emerge in spring as an 8" shrub? Or will it catch up with its pre-winter size & keep growing? If the plant is going to stay small, it works perfectly where it is. If it's going to get much larger, it's too big for that spot.

So here's the thing. If I need to move it, I want to move it sooner than later. This little diva is too thirsty in its first year in the garden (I must water it every other day and sometimes every day). I can put up with that in its first year, but I'm not planning on dealing w/that in its 2nd year, unless I move it and then have to start all over again with the daily watering. *sigh*

Also, from what I've read here, its flowers are pink most likely because it's settling in. My Nikko is a nice blue with no soil manipulation. This is pretty acidic soil. If I move it next spring, I'll have to put up with washed out lavender flowers another year. So because of this, I'm thinking it's probably best to move it sooner than later. Conventional wisdom says to wait to see what it does next spring, but the extra watering & lavender flowers are making me not want to start all over.

What do you guys think? What would you do? (sorry so long)

~MH

Comments (4)