SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

Very Disappointed Iris Lover

lovelyiris
16 years ago

Most of you know how excited I have been about joining the AIS and taking part in my very first iris show.

Well as the time grew nearer and nearer I was getting a little anxious on doing everything just so so. Still our local AIS had not mentioned our show.

I have asked advice from some of the Pro's on here and I had a good outlook on things to come, or so I thought.

At our last meeting they showed a slide presentation with all the winners, and going to Austin and so forth. The meeting was almost over and still nothing said about the up-comming show. I decided to ask about it and I was informed that they had took a vote last year and decided to have the shows and judging every other year.

Needless to say I was very disappointed. Then on top of that someone said they had some old ribbons left over and they would just give me one. A lot of the people said they would give me some of theirs. I'm sorry, but to me that defeats the purpose of my hard labors for over the past 8 months.

I've never belonged to the AIS and I was very mislead about the organization. On top of that, I'm then told I can take my irises to Dallas or some other iris show. I'm sorry, but this is crazy as far as I'm concerned.

I have been very happy growing irises for years and never once marked them in the beds. I've got everyone marked this year and now we're not even going to have a show. I'm sorry for venting but this did get under my skin just a little bit.

The only thing that made the meeting any better was that I did win the door prize and got a years subscription to Tall Talk.

Then I'm told we will have a show and we can all bring our irises, but there will not be any judges. We can have a ballot box and the public can pick the best or their favorite out of all the irises that are brought. The more I think about it, I'm not even sure I want to do that. I never pick my irises or any of my other flowers as far as that goes. I leave them in the garden for everyone to enjoy.

I guess you can say that this wasn't what I was expecting by joining the AIS. I don't blame anyone but myself for not asking more questions and setting myself up for disappointment.

Now I know if I'm going to show any irises I'll have to join again next year. (grin)

All's well that ends well or Blooms,

Happy Gardening, Marian

Comments (7)

Sponsored