SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizruork_gw

disappointed with viking queen..looking for alternatives

lizruork
16 years ago

hihi in 2005 i purchased viking queen from pickering nurseries and planted it on my south facing wall alongside clematis will goodwin, a very successful daphne, several species anemones, peonies, iris and nicotiana .....i saw VQ very widely recommended but i havent been too happy....

i really wanted something fragrant in this very tiny front garden and despite its billing as fragrant i havent found it to be noticeably so....also the blooms in spring are a very blowsy on spindly stems and they tend to flop forward and look down rather than out...and the colour is a rather dull uniform pink....in the fall the repeat blooms tend to have a stronger tea shape and crisper colour and have sturdier suppport....but all in all not the character plant i looked for....

so now i am up for suggestions>>>

the wall is white and garden now contains blues lavenders whites and pinks .want a good repeater with some real size...and some real fragrance...this is an excellent sheltered site....there is a good wire trellis support on the wall and room to go up 20 feet....the soil is supporting daphnes and clematis equally well....the spot is dry and sunny but air circulation may not be the very best due to density of plantings and iron trellis work

some roses under consideration

climbing cecile brunner

zehirine drouhin

gloire de dijon

ilse krohn

white cap

mme isaac pereire

mme alfred carriere

cl. ophelia

any and all opinions adn suggestions very welcome

thank you

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!