SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylorm_gw

I saw Hydrangeas that grow in the tropics. Know any names?

TaylorM
18 years ago

I was in Panama (the country in Central America) a few weeks ago and saw a number of homes with hydrangeas (nicely flowering I might add). These homes were in the El Valle region, where although its supposed to be somewhat cooler than Panama City, it was tropically hot for this northerner.

I didn't think hydrangeas grew in a tropical climate.

I'd love to get some for my mother in law's home in Miami.

Any thoughts of the type that could grow there?

Thanks. Taylor

Comments (42)

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Taylor,

I am not sure what climate conditions exist in the part of Panama you were in, but I do know that most hydrangeas are barely do-able in my zone 9 and are not recommended for zone 10 (Miami). That is not to say that it can't be done, it's just not likely to turn out well. .....yg

• TaylorM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Panama is similar to the temperature of Miami in the summer. Panama has a constant temperature of mid or upper 80's. During their winter (our summer) it rains alot...its the tropics.

I saw these flourishing hydrangeas (full of light blue mopheads)all around in a volcano valley about 90 minutes from Panama City. It was still very hot and very humid and especially rainy.

You know, I was thinking of stopping and asking what type of hydrangea it was. I know you can't bring back clippings (at least legally) or next time I might think of doing so.

Taylor

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Tropicals, Perennials, Named Daylilies

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a deep pink climbing rose bush that I would love to trade. This is the only photo I have of it, when it was out of control when we moved in. It does show that it climbs! http://www.flickr.com/photos/redthreaddiy/3676755356/sizes/l/in/set-72157623564150341/ We cut it down today and found that there were several rose bushes! We dug them up and here it the result: http://www.flickr.com/photos/redthreaddiy/5017902144/#/photos/redthreaddiy/5017902144/lightbox/ I tried to save as much of the bush as possible, but they were truly difficult to dig up! Let me know if you'd like any in particular. Most of the Daylilies I bought as start-ups this year, so I can only give you a couple double-fans of each. Daylily - Chicago Apache Daylily - Happy Returns Daylily - Mary Reed Daylily - Moroccan Sunrise Daylily - Red Magic Daylily - Siloam Red Ruby Daylily - Stella De Oro (TONS!) Daylily - Strawberry Candy Daylily - Sweet Sunrise Ditch Lily - Orange Let me know if you're interested!
    ...See More

Obsessed with finding out name of shrub I saw

Q

Comments (13)
    Now, does anyone know the tree that was blooming about a week ago that has drooping clusters of white flowers, sort of like small wisteria clumps under the leaves? It's not grandfather's beard- this is much more defined and larger trees. I notice them every spring , esp along hammond rd, but don't know what they are. Not sure if they are still in bloom or not since i haven't ventured up that way this week.
    ...See More

Will hydrangea grow in tropical climates?

Q

Comments (1)
    When i visited Hawaii last fall I ask a local nurseryman why I don't see any hydrangea all around? His answer was that 1) Hawaii have a very strict regulation about introduction of any non-native plants and 2) Hydrangeas anyway (supposedly) will not tolerate your warm/hot climate and volcanic soil. In support of his reason #2 I could only tell that I know people who was trying to grow hydrangeas in a mountain region of Panama where year around temperature stays in 75-90F range and humidity is low. No luck, all plants never went dormant and succumbed on a second-third year. Sorry.
    ...See More

Saw this in Sydney and would like to know its name

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi.. That is Dieties grandiflora..
    ...See More
  • razorback33
    18 years ago

There are about 50 species of Hydrangea(some say 75) and many of them are tropical species. The Flora of Nicaragua lists only one, H. steyermarkii and states that it is also found in Guatemala and probably in Mexico. It also states that H. macrophylla is a cultivated species there. The Flora of Ecuador has H. asterolasia, H. jelskii, H. peruviana, H. preslii, H. tarapotensis & H. macrophylla(an escapee from cultivation?). None of the species are listed as endemic to these countries, which means that they are also found elsewhere. I have never seen a source for any of them, except macrophylla. Could it be that what you saw in Panama was a macrophylla?
    Rb

• TaylorM
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Razorback, thank you for all your information.

All I could see, without going into these yards, was a good sized light blue mophead flower and plenty of them. These plants were doing well in many yards. I also walked by some in the zoo, but they were not flowering...maybe too much shade.

Bottom line, it seems that there is some kind of tropical species...now whether it is offered in the US is another question that I'll have to look into.

Thank you.

Taylor

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Hi Folks!

A bit of horticultural information. Any reblooming hydrangea that blooms on new growth sprouting during the current season will bloom any where regardless of latitude. Blooming on new summer growth makes no difference whether it is in tropical Panama or Michigan...Beautiful blooming hydrangeas are a common sight in many tropical islands. The more prone to summer reblooming that a hydrangea variety is, the better that it performs in the tropics. So search for providers that offer certified varieties "(re)blooming" on new summer growth. These hydrangeas will give you several bloomings a year in the tropics, especially with some pruning to encourage new growth.

I hope this helps.

• ianna
    8 years ago

yes hydrangeas do grow in the tropics.. similar to the ones sold in supermarkets (which are considered annuals here in zone 5 ).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

It is also a horticultural fact that plants native to temperate climates need a period of dormancy, usually associated with winter cold temperatures. If one of these temperate species is grown in a tropical environment that does not allow the plant to go fully dormant (no appreciable change in seasons), then the plants tend not to be very long lived. They will bloom like mad for a few seasons, then start to peter out.

And supermarket hydrangeas are no different from hydrangeas grown for landscape purposes. They just have been manipulated to bloom very precociously and out of season but with proper acclimation can be grown outdoors anywhere else hydrangeas can be grown.

• ianna
    8 years ago

the hydrangeas grown in my grandmother's tropical garden survived for years and years. We continued to propagate it from cuttings.

• ianna
    8 years ago

Here is a helpful thread on the subject: http://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36992

• hc mcdole
    8 years ago

Was it a Mexican or tropical Hydrangea? They sell those on eBay but not really a hydrangea. They are either Dombeya or Clerodendrum bungei.

Saw some true mophead hydrangeas in Hawaii last year in bloom (September) but at higher elevations around Volcano Village. Never saw one down at seaside.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

could it be dombeya?

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Folks, pay attention to the previous information: summer reblooming hydrangeas DO NOT need a winter vernalization to produce flowers. There are several varieties in the market such as "Endless Summer", "Forever", etc., etc., etc. You just need to do your homework finding those merchants. The summer reblooming happens on branches that are newly produced during the cold-free summer period, which is equal to the never ending summer-like weather of the tropics.

• hc mcdole
    8 years ago

A photo is worth a 1000 words...

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

A hydrangea in full bloom in the tropics does not look any different than the one in the temperate zones. After teaching both horticulture and botany for over 40 years, I think that I know a thing or two about plant behavior in general and about hydrangeas in particular.

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

If you need to see to believe just google "hydrangeas in the tropics", then go to "images" and then scroll down till you find Costa Rica.

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Yes, in the numerous seminars I've monitored in PR, I did see them mostly in the mountain areas. However, the reason it is not because the temperature is cooler. The reason is because the soil throughout those mountains is highly acidic, which hydrangeas love. I equally visited home gardens in the coastal lowlands and they were thriving there too, both in the ground as well as in pots. I have to admit the vegetation on that island is quite impressive, I loved it.

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

By the way "hortensia" is the appropriate name for this plant ( "hortense" in French, "hortensia " in most other languages) not just for PR. English uses the Latin botanical name Hydrangea.

• ianna
    8 years ago

these are mopheads located in the Philippines. Obviously they do not go into dormancy there. these ones are in a higher elevation. the ones that grow in lower areas have smaller blooms. Still pretty though.

• luis_pr
    8 years ago

Reminds me of some oakleaf hydrangeas that I have and that do not go dormant either (during mild winters only). They eventually get new leaves more or less in March... and drop the old ones at the same time.

• ianna
    8 years ago

the one I recall growing in my grandmother's place which is in the lower areas is similar to this. It was pink and small blooms like this one.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Endless Summer is a series of hydrangeas and not a single variety.

http://www.endlesssummerblooms.com/the-collection

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Yes indeed, different colors and flower shapes to choose from. But because they all bloom on new stems from the current season, they can bloom without vernalization in winterless climates.

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

By the way I used the word "variety" here as a synonym for "kind, type" and not as "cultivar" which is more specific.

• ianna
    8 years ago

if one reads up on the origins of hydrangeas, they will find that these came from Asia from Indonesia to China, Korea and Japan.. so really it has a wide range from tropical to temperate zones.

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Yes Inane, that is correct. Hence it is not surprising that they can thrive in winterless climate areas like Indonesia...

• necolde5b ohio
    8 years ago

There used to be a huge hydrangea bush always covered in blue blooms in my grandparents home in India where the weather is always very warm and humid with lots of rain. It was planted when my mom was little and it was a showstopper. Unfortunately they cut it off after 35 years during the family home renovation.

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

I hear reports like this from many tropical places. I am sorry you lost such a magnificent specimen. Did any body take cuttings from the branches to propagate?

• necolde5b ohio
    8 years ago

My mom is not a big fan of hydrangeas. She has tons of orchids anthuriums and a lot of tropical plants. The few other people who tried to propogate it were not successful I believe. I've seen other hydrangeas there but none as spectacular as the old one.

• PRO
    Petrofac
    8 years ago

I live in Singapore so basically I live at the Equator :). Got me 4 pots of hydrangea in May which i have no idea what are the names. They all are growing well. When i bought they were 5" tall and i've since repotted to bigger clay pots. Prepared my own potting mix of perlite + potting soil + volcanic soil. Did fertilization a few weeks back with liquid fish meal. Leaves are green with a few scorched leaves i guest. In terms of growth they are doing well but i dont expect to get blooms this year though.

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Hi Petrofac,

It is very important to know the variety name or at least if your hydrangeas come from a tropical nursery. Only the re-blooming "macrophylla" types will bloom correctly in Singapore, being that it is a "winterless" tropical zone. As for the way your are cultivating them, you seem to be doing the right thing with soil mix and fertilizer. Stick to the instructions on the fertilizer label. Just 2 tips: 1) make sure they have plenty of water, hydrangeas are heavy drinkers, never feed a thirsty plant and 2) potted flowering plants bloom easier when the root system is relatively "tight" within the pot, disproportionately large pots will delay or suppress blooming. I hope this helps.

• PRO
    Petrofac
    8 years ago

I bought the 4 hydrangea plants in a local nursery yes. Still don't know their names (got 2 varieties).

Earlier everytime they wilt I would give them a drink, then I got to know that they wilt because the rate of transpiration via the leaves is higher than the rate of the plant absorbs moisture via roots. No signs of overwatering though. After that I cut on watering and just let them wilt. By 8 pm everyday they covered. They would start wilting at noon.

So there u have it, hydrangeas growing in the equator :)

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Judging by the shape of the leaves those seem to be the macrophyla types. Produced in a local tropical nursery is a good indicator. However, the leaves should not be wilting at any time. In the heat of the equator they would need a shaded or semi-shaded spot so that the heat of the direct tropical sun does not deflate the leaves. Watering profusely either early morning or in the evening, no standing water under the pots, should resolve the wilting issue. Foliage wilting needs to be avoided at all cost, it is very stressful for the plant and will prevent you from having good results. The idea is not for them to "just" grow in the equator, but for them to thrive and bloom well. Unlike in the northern temperate climates, those hydrangeas in the tropics should bloom 2 to 3 times a year, if managed correctly.

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Petrofac, clay pots will dry out a lot faster than plastic. They will grow a lot faster in larger plastic pots while small and you won't have to monitor them as close as the clay pots.

Let the rootball 'get tight' when they are large enough to bloom.

Mike

• edgarmieles345
    8 years ago

Hi Mike,

Just a reminder, in the nursery industry plastic pots are classified as "hot" and clay pots as "cool". Foliage and plants in general coming from hot and humid climates seem to do very well in plastic. But in an already hot and humid climate, plants that originate in cool and/or Mediterranean climates prefer by far clay, since it allows for a much better breathing of the root system, prevents root rot and promotes blooming. If your hydrangeas have been doing relatively well in plastic, try clay and you'll see the difference. This is common practice among commercial growers who need to minimize health problems while promoting quick blooming for quick crop turnover. The longer they take to bloom, the least revenue they generate...Even in cool countries like France and Belgium clay pots is most often the choice for blooming potted plants(Hydrangeas, Azalea Indica, Bougainvilleas, etc...).

• ianna
    8 years ago

i was going to say that in tropical countries, clay pots are preferred because they cool down roots , breathes and keep damp. We even grew roses in clay pots.

• Yezie Mae
    6 years ago

I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, it's extremely hot and humid here, all year around. Growing a hydrangea has been quite a challenge. I had it in a pot for 5 years with no luck of actual blooms or much growth. Last month I transplanted it into the ground my plant has now had 3 blooms and is growing many new leafs. It needs lots of water and no direct sunlight.

• luis_pr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The ones I see growing in the Caribbean are away from the coast line in cooler regions. Strictly morning sun until 10-11am (maybe even earlier); or dappled sun; or in bright shade. Congrats on your blooming success. The plant will probably go dormant late or hardly, as it happens in places in Florida. Feel free to fertilize it as usual in Spring, every 3 months but I would recommend another fert that has less nitrogen in the Fall. Someone in the islands told me that they fertilized with composted manure in March-April and then twice more 3 months apart. You may need to amend the soil if it is not acidic.

• Mike McGarvey
    6 years ago

I've seen them growing in the mountains of Hawaii, introduced, of course. Some of them quite large, maybe the size of a garage. Large fuchsias too.

Edgarmieles, I see your point, growing where it is humid as well as hot, clay makes more sense than plastic on the commercial side of growing. I was getting a little provincial and just thinking about the average homeowner here, where the summers are dry and water expensive. I grow cacti and succulents in clay pots that can handle growing on the dry side at times, like when I'm away on holiday or an emergency. Hydrangeas have a hard time with that, especially planted in a clay pot. Commercial growers don't take vacations during the growing season.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago
    I saw them in Volcano Village on the big Island of Hawaii too. don't remember any at sea level though
  • Avery Bartlett-Golden
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I was in Panama this past summer in the area next to El Valle. Hydrangea macrophylla is cultivated in the area, but the nurserymen I talked to said that it needs cooler temperatures to be successful. I visited a nursery at around 600m elevation which was very successfully growing blue H. macrophylla. The local common name used is Hortensia.

• Jon
    6 years ago

I saw hydrangeas all over the place in the Azores - temperate but tropical. They were beautiful, purple and thriving. Two types: a mophead variety and a lacecap/serrata they call "wild ones."

I also just returned from Costa Rica and I saw hydrangeas planted in two locations. First was a lone and sickly looking hydrangea (pictured below) in Manual Antonio / Quepos area. Later, we past through San Ramone a couple times traveling to and from Fortuna. As you leave San Ramone and up until about 15-minutes from Fortuna, numerous properties planted hydrangeas that appear to be of the same variety in the picture (below). None looks to be thriving like in the Azores, but some appeared pretty happy on a butterfly conservatory.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting