SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsimms_gw

Overwintering Mophead Hydrangeas....ES again

lsimms
18 years ago

Saw that hayseed's message has 60 replies and his stellar overwintering strategies are unmatched. His overwintering strategies work.

If you're a northern gardener with the simple desire to have hydrangeas in the summer, Endless Summer, Penny Mac...and I've got one called Pink Beauty... are probably the best mopheads. If Pink Beauty hadn't bloomed last year after a deathly cold, I would have yanked it.

I'm on year 3 of Endless Summer. They're huge and healthy, blooms galore, about 3 feet high and wide now.

Our winter was marked by a few snow dumps, but lots of low temps with no snow. Perennial Princess was worried about no snowcover. MN has much lower temps than New England. Hope they thrived. Mine sure did.

There's a hedge of Nikko Blue in my town that is nice and green but blooms have been scarce in the last coupa years.

Given their robust nature, I'm going to cut them down to the ground in the winter. Their winter sillouette is not terribly pleasing...buncho sticks. Pretty confident that I can let the plant play out and cut the stalks.

So that's going to be the extent of my hydrangea overwintering from now on.

I've also got a garden full of serratas as well. Mostly Blue Billow, Wild and Annabelles. They do plenty well in cold weather. BUT, I'd replace them all with Endless Summer if I could find a place for the short bloomers.

Frankly, I've been waiting to have something critical to say about Endless Summer. Just ain't there.

Umm, the blooms are too big? Prune this baby to your heart's delight..just grows more.

I've been doing this for a while and it's just the perfect hydrangea for northern gardens.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!