SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nsellesl

Alternative to my first Hydro system

nsellesl
10 years ago

Hi all,

Because of ecological and health reasons, our family has started growing our food hydroponically a while back. The ambition was to grow as much as we could hydroponically, without too much chemicals and great yields.

So far, we've been doing fine. We have 12 paprika plants, 20 tomato plants and around 25 kinds of salad plants as a first experiment with Hydro. I have built a deep water culture myself (no hydro shops here), using big containers and metal wires.

The whole thing is working fine, everything tastes good etcetera, but the noise is too much. The airpump, a hailea 9630, makes quite some noise. So, I started looking for alternatives, as the noise from this pump is hearable in adjacent rooms at night and possibly bothers the neighbours.

I chose this pump because it had 8 outlets and great airflow and said it was silent. My research suggest hailea wasn't a very intelligent choice, perhaps tetratec. But then I have to buy at least 3 to 4 pumps of the APS 400 to support all my tanks.

The question thus becomes whether or not I should continue DWC. I've invested quite some money in it already, so i'd like to reuse as much as possible. But on the other hand, I'd like a silent farm more. But all the solutions I find online, are for single plants, but never for bigger farms.

So my question is, do you know how I can have a great air output for these amount of plants with a minimum of noise, or is this simply not possible? Would a drip-system then be a more silent solution, or should I just go back to soil growing?

All help is much appreciated!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES