SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jchad214

Container Hydrangeas in Texas

jchad214
9 years ago

This is my first year trying to grow hydrangeas. I bought 3 one gallons hydrangeas--engless summer, forever and ever, and nantucket blue, about a month ago. They are still in the gallon containers and having some blooms. I am ordering 10 gallon equivalent Air-Pots which hold about 8 gallon of soil for them. I live in an apartment facing east and they are outside on the patio. They get direct sun from sun up till about 12 p.m. When they are outside, they droop and bounce back if I water daily but if I skipped watering for a day, they will droop badly and leaves got fried so I decided to water them everyday. If I put them inside by the patio door, they will get direct sunlight till about 11 a.m. and I usually keep the temp inside at 80 degrees for them when I'm not in my apt. And if they are inside, I could water them every other day without them even droop. Here are my questions.
1. Do you think Texas sun is too hot for them when they are outside? Should I put them inside instead? (I can't put any screen on the patio as the complex do not allow so it's either inside or outside.)
2. I have another spot outside my apartment door where they get direct sun from about 8.30-11 a.m. Do you think this is enough sun from them to bloom well?
3. How long do you think my Air-Pots will hold the 3 of them before I have to prune the roots or move them to a bigger pot?
4. I plan on using organic potted mix from EcoScraps (claimed to have 30% perlite though I think it's more about 15%) but tempting to add more perlite or expanded shale to improve drainage. Do you think it's a good idea? If so which one should I use?
5. I noticed that my hyndrangea leaves turned lighter in color than when I just got them. Is this because of the sun?

Thanks for any input.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!